Re: 1999 Crown Vic Stalling Problem

sounds similiar to a problem I have posted below in "windstar stall on start", mine did start doing it on a rainy day, what could that mean?

I have an intermittent stalling problem with my > 1999 Crown Vic with 39,000 miles. It always > starts normally, but often stalls out > immediately. Usually this happens when then the > car has sat overnight, and the engine has > completely cooled down, but sometimes (very > seldom), it will happen before the engine has > cooled off complegtely. I have started it as many > as 10-15 times, only to have it stall out as soon > as I lift my foot off the gas. It will run ok if > I keep my foot on the gas. > > The problem does not seem to be related to wet > weather, so I don't think it is a moisture > problem. > > Sometimes, if I just let it sit for 15-20 minutes, > after having repeatedly stalled, it will run > normally. If I am able to get it to run ok, it > will usually run normally all day, as long as the > engine doesn't cool off. It will sometimes run > normally for days or even weeks, and then start to > exhibit the problem for several days. > > The check engine light never comes on. > > I have left it overnight with an independent Ford > mechanic, hoping the problem would show up when > the engine was cold. No luck. The car started > normally all day, and the mechanic told me that as > long as the check engine light didn't come on, or > if the car started ok, he couldn't help me. > > I have a Ford dealer researching the problem, but > so far they haven't called me back. > > Does anybody have any ideas? > > Ed Codd >
Reply to
Petebert

Hello Petebert, I couldn't find any information included with your message Did I miss something?. What was your problem, and how did you solve it?

Ed Codd

Petebert wrote:

Reply to
Edward Codd

Reply to
Chowrunner

i put my foot on the pedal when it fires, if not it stalls, normally it acts like a fuel injected engine should and runs when you turn the key

Reply to
Petebert

Reply to
Edward Codd

Hello Petebert, In your first reply, you said you posted a problem in "windstar stall on start", but I couldn't find it. Can you tell me what your problem was, did you get it fixed, and what was the fix?

Also to Chowrunner, the only reason I keep my foot on the gas is to keep it from stalling. When the problem isn't there, the car will start without touching the gas pedal.

Ed Codd

Petebert wrote:

Reply to
Edward Codd

i posted mine on the 23rd, I havent found a cause or resolution yet , it hasnt done it for the last 2 days, I replied to yours because you mentioned something about moisture and mine happened on a rainy day.

haynes manual says to check wires at distributor, coil or alternator. intake manifold vacuum leaks poor fuel pressure and fuel injection or engine control malfunction as possible causes

Reply to
Petebert

Reply to
Chowrunner

Check the IAC motor, that is the Idle Air Control motor. Sounds like the engine is not getting enough air at idle and is being flooded as the computer commands more gas for a cold engine.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Chowrunner, Good suggestion about the codes. I'll ask my Ford mechanic, although he did say that without the check engine light coming, or if he didn't have it while the problem existed, he didn't thinkthere would be any codes stored.

Ed Codd

Chowrunner wrote:

Reply to
Edward Codd

Reply to
Edward Codd

Mercon, I've checked with a Mercury dealer in my neighborhood, and the service department thinks that the IAC is the most likely thing to be faulty. However, since the problem is intermittent, there's no guarantee that changing the part will fix the problem. The part costs about $50-60, and to have them fix it will cost $150.

Here are my questions. Is this something the average guy can replace with just a few common tools--screwdrivers, open-end wrenches, vise grips,etc.? Where is the IAC located? Is it accessible by opening the hood?

What do you think?

Ed Codd

"V.B. Merc> Check the IAC motor, that is the Idle Air Control motor. Sounds like the

Reply to
Edward Codd

Ed, I do believe the IAC is quite simple to replace.The most you will need is the right size socket drive, and a scraper. The IAC is located near the start of the upper intake manifold throttle body. Once you obtain the replacement part, you will know what it looks like and spot it quite easily. It is held in place by two bolts/screws. . In addition to the new IAC, you will also need a new gasket ....Disconnect the negative battery terminal. You may need to remove the air cleaner inlet tube. Disconnect the electrical connector to the IAC valve, remove the two bolts/screws, clean away the old gasket from the mating surface on the intake manifold. Position the new gasket in place with the new IAC and replace the two bolts/screws. Tighten to 71 - 106 inch pound(..note inch pound..), DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN, ..reconnect the electrical connector. Reconnect the negative battery terminal. Now you are ready for the test drive. Please let us know how things work out.

VB.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon