Re: 2000 Windstar a good choice?

I like my 99, first minivan I bought and I found out the resale value is pretty horrid, the value has been dropping at the same rate I pay it off, looks like it finally leveled off around $4500, maybe it will stay there for a while. Include that I got kids that get crap all over the seats and carpets..

Reply to
Petebert

Wife's been driving our 2000 SEL for years now (even imported it to the UK for this year). We're getting about 30 Imp MPG (25 US MPG) on the highway/motorways. It's presently got about 120,000 Miles on it, (manual dual sliding doors), the power ones were WAY TOO SLOW) . So far to date we've changed inner tie rod ends and Battery. Oh and rear shocks, $20 Each, did them myself in the driveway, took 1/2 hour.

All in all, for a Minivan it's Reliable, Fast and practical (stands up to the wife and 3 kids). The rear seat weighs 100 LBS and the captains chairs are something like 50/60 LBS to carry but the rear one has wheels to roll on.

I like it, wife likes it, decent machine. Buy a good used one with all the options you want (it won't cost more), take care of it and your $ per mile cost will be very low for this class of vehicle.

When you're comparing costs of vehicles don't forget to include insurance and maintenance costs.

PS keep in mind I'm biased through owning one. I liked the 3.3 Chrysler Voyager we had before this one but it rusted way too fast for any modern vehicle, oh and the electronics sucked on it.

Reply to
joe schmoe

Reply to
News Reeder

Nothing else ! :-)

Go for the largest engine available. I still recall Chrysler's using Quality Japanese engines in their Minivans. 2.6 "hemi" 4cyl, 3.0 v6 Yikes ! The blue smoke is still clearing.

That must be the "Jap" Quality that many posters refer to ;-)

Reply to
joe schmoe