Wagon choice

Okay, you're spending around $40K and want a very nice performance wagon.

Would you go for the Saab Aero Wagon, or the Volvo V70 R..?

Notice that I'm asking in both newsgroups, so I expect some biased answers. I've had cars from both mfg's, so I've got some familiarity wih them.

Reply to
Larry Jandro

Rob Guenther

On 12 Aug 2003, "Kersenboogerd" tapped on a keyboard and the electrons formed this:

Because I haven't gotten a second-hand car in more than 30 years.

Reply to
Larry Jandro

I test-drove both last year, and bought the Saab. (Note that I've owned Saabs for 18 years so I am probably biased.)

I thought the Volvo drove like a truck. It felt huge. It had some practical advantages (like more seats) but it scored low on the "fun" quotient. The Saab was much more nimble and powerful. Even my wife, the Porsche 911-driving snob, admitted the Aero was pretty fun to drive.

However, also be aware that I haven't been entirely happy with my Aero, as I've described here. Biggest problem is the incredibly long turbo lag.

Geeze, do you LIKE losing 20% of the resale value as soon as you drive it off the lot? Or do you just always keep them for 200k miles or so, so it's not much of an issue?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Don't get into the whole why buy new when you can buy the same thing use... well almost the same.

Some people just 'can't' buy a used car for their own personal reasons, leave it at that... and be glad many people buy new, or all the used car buyers would be SOL.

If you can afford a new car, why the hell not buy one?

BTW the new R Volvo is completely different from the R you drove. The last time there was an R model it was > > Would you go for the Saab Aero Wagon, or the Volvo V70 R..?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

On 12 Aug 2003, Gary Fritz tapped on a keyboard and the electrons formed this:

I generally lease, so I keep them for less than 30,000 miles.

Reply to
Larry Jandro

Ah, my bad. Maybe I'd have ended up with a Volvo if I'd been in the market this year instead of last.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

On 19 Aug 2003, Senappi tapped on a keyboard and the electrons formed this:

Good answer. Thanks. ;-)

Reply to
Larry Jandro

The Volvo also felt more stable during acceleration but I prefered the instrumentcluster of the SAAB over the the one in the Volvo.

(but they still look good in the Volvo, tho)

Reply to
Senappi

Bulldozer?

Reply to