Re: 89 Escort LX sometimes sputtering and running on 3 cyl.

A couple weeks ago, my 89 Escort with base 1.9L engine and auto trans. will

> miss randomly during acceleration. Sometimes on humid mornings it will > stutter rhythmically as if one cylinder in not firing. A couple miles down > the road, the cylinder comes to life and it runs smooth with just stuttering > here and there. Any ideas as what I should check for? Plugs, wires??

Yeah, sounds like plugs and/or wires to me. If the car has a distributor (I'm not familiar with the 1.9 in particular, so bear with me), you might want to swap the cap out.

Other than that, check for codes if you can, make sure the fuel system's in good shape (it could also be a clogged injector or low fuel pressure).

-lee

Reply to
Lee Cremeans

I also think it's in the ignition system. Give the ol' girl a tune up. I assume it has CFI? Tough engine, really... Although bolted to that auto tranny it's not the greatest. With a manual tranny, that same engine will burry the speedo without even straining.

You can scan this car for trouble codes. Pay a visit to

, they have an extensive section on trouble codes and how to retrieve them. It's a little more complicated than a GM from the same era, but it's not hard and it's a way better scan then the GM vehicles of the time had (for the home DIY'er). You can do a scan for memory codes, and a separate engine running scan for things that are wrong at the time of running the scan.

Reply to
Clem

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have a little weekend project to do. John

Reply to
jriegle