Re: 94 Escort engine rpm recovery

My 94 Escort recently developed this problem. When the engine is revved

> to about 2000 rpm and suddenly, by letting the gas off, allowed to run > down to idle, the engine will stall. Otherwise, the engine idles and > runs fine. I think that this condition is called "engine idle > recovery". The typical stuff, like air cleaner, bad gas, ect. have > been found not to be the cause. Because of mileage, 140000, I'm > thinking it might be a sensor. I used an $30 Actron code reader to test > the ecu for codes and I was not sure if I was understanding how to count > the beep signals correctly. What I got was either a "111-1-111" system > pass code, or a "33-1-33" system EGR-type problem code. Any probable > causes for this type of idle problem? >
Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral

Clean your MAF, check your EGR, and fix any vacuum or air leaks. Then clear out your codes and give it some time to record some new ones then get back with us.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Thanks for the replies.

I did a MAF cleaning about six months ago.

I checked the EGR and it works fine and does not stick

I removed the IAS, idle air solenoid, at sprayed Gumout in the IAS itself. (The plenum has a sticker that says not to spray any cleaners on it because it is coated.) After the cleaning the car idles super smooth and runs great and does not stall at all!

Thanks again.

Reply to
dmtaurus