I actually figured out before I put 120lbs on any of the bolts (10MM) that I
was putting too much torque on the bolts (when I started to round the
corners off one of the bolts), however, I had put well more than 120 lbs/in
on them. I was trying to save some $$$ by not taking it in for service as
this seemed like a fairly straightforward DIY project. So I guess you could
say I learned a valuable lesson the hard way, and may have just literally
screwed myself out of any money I saved ;-(
LEAVE IT! Or redo the whole thing with new gasket. Change fluid at
earliest.. say 20k.
If you back out and reset, it's going to leak because you overcompressed the
I cant believe you didnt break or strip out at least ONE!
You might want to toss that torque wrench. I bet it's not accurate, reads
I use the "forefinger around extension, last 3 fingers on ratchet shank"
method for those type bolts.
Well DUH! Missed again... the pan will never again seal properly at 120
in/lbs because of bolt-hole dimpling... a lesson I learned early with chevy
valve covers and should'a mentioned.
You can TRY to peen them back but I dont recommend it because it never worked
too well with valve covers and they only have 4 holes to get right.
Pans arent real expensive. And it's still not too bad to learn that lesson.
I'd still leave it until it leaks or 20,000 whichever comes first.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.