How to test and replace Torque Converter

After replacing the timing belt and water pump, my 4runner runs fine on idle, but when put in gear, it sputters and crawls and stalled. From when I read in the forum, most lightly is the torque converter. Does anybody know how to test the torque converter? Any diagram on where is the location and how to install it?

Thanks,

-don

Reply to
Coolguy via CarKB.com

The torque converter is between the engine and transmission. To remove it you have to pull out your transfer case, drive shafts, and transmission. Good luck!

Reply to
MrFixit469

If the truck ran well before the timing belt was replaced, my guess is that your problem is related tothat service, not the torque converter.

While is possible that the torque converter is the problem, the more common failure of the TC is to slip, not lock to point of stalling the engine.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I must agree here ... sounds like the timing belt is a few teeth out ... sounds hard to beleive that it would damage the TC when doing waterpump/timing belt.

If the TC is letting go then the truck would liekly rev up fine but not go anywhere

Matt