Re: Chinese carmaker blatantly copies Ford F-150...soon to be available at your local Harbr Freight store.

> copies-ford-f-150/?ncid=txtlnkwbauto00000002>>

>> The Ford F-150 has just picked up a doppelganger in China. >> According to CarNewsChina, Jianghuai Auto Corporation has just >> unveiled its new 4R3 pickup, and sure enough, the vehicle looks >> to be a near carbon copy of America's best-selling truck. JAC >> reportedly wants to provide buyers in China, Africa and South >> America with a larger, inexpensive work vehicle. While the >> appearances of the Ford F-Series and 4R3 visuals differ ever so >> slightly, the similarities far outweigh the incongruities. >> According to CNC, JAC is a fairly small automaker in the >> People's Republic that specializes in rebodied Hyundai cars, >> SUVs and pickups. >> >> Word has it the 4R3 will be powered by a 2.8-liter diesel four- >> cylinder engine generating just 108 horsepower and 177 pound- >> feet of torque. There's no word on cost at this point. The JAC >> 4R3 is set to debut at the Beijing Motor Show in April, though >> there's no telling how long the vehicle will be on the market >> before the company gets a call from the lawyers in Dearborn. >> Head over to CarNewsChina.com for a better look at the F-150 >> twin. >> > >> >> snipped-for-privacy@luckymail.com >> Wow! A small truck with a diesel engine that is a good idea. I >> wonder what the fuel mileage will be? Can we buy them here in >> the US? I am so tired of this over priced "Union Labor" making >> truck's so expensive. I will buy one of these just to send a >> message at the high price rise in trucks will not be tolerated. >> Cut some of union over pay and benifets and get the prices back >> to what a normal working family can afford!! > > Cool...when can we expect to buy it at Harbor Freight? > > TMT

Wait for the 20% of coupon before you buy it.

seriously, a two ton truck powered by 108hp. get on the free way at rush hour with that a few times and the car payment will hop scared right out of your billfold.

Reply to
bob urz

I didn't bother searching the story elsewhere, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had all the factory tooling built by the cheapest bidders.... and where might they have been? ;)

Well, it is a diesel, so it would have somewhat-more torque than a gas engine.

Also, in backwater nations smaller engines are often *preferred*, believe it or not.... I had a 1982 full-size Chevy pickup for a few months that had a inline-6 with a 4-speed manual trans, and was told that it was a quite desirable vehicle south of the (US) border. The small engine saves gas, has a carb so you can fix everything yourself (no engine computer), the engine didn't have enough torque to stress the rest of the drivetrain and if the transmission ever did have problems,,, it was a manual, so it was pretty easy to fix too.

It was slow on the uptake, yes.... On a cross-country trip I floored it and I think it got up to a bit over 70 MPH. But it got me where I was going.

Reply to
DougC