Re: Diesel Pickup

Hello All!!!!!!!!

> >Any and all input will be appreciated. I am interested in buying a 2004 >diesel pickup truck. Opinions vary on which company has the best diesel >engine. I have heard the Ford engine, which I believe is made by >International Harvester has had problems. Does anyone have any first hand >knowledge of this or an opinion they would like to share??? > >Thanks >Tony

I was looking for a Ford diesel when I came across a Dodge with a Cummins diesel at an agreeable price. It made a believer out of me. The inline 6 actually fits in the engine compartment and is well laid out to work on. And all engines will eventually need worked on, especially diesels. Many people think that diesels last so long they can run them like gasoline engines...just drive them until they die. Diesels don't work that way. Part of the longevity involves changing out filters and regular maintenance. ESPECIALLY FUEL FILTERS! The Cummins engine is one tough, solid piece of machinery that really does the job, not saying that the Ford doesn't. But I would buy the Cummins Dodge over a Ford, even if I had to pay a little more. I figure I would gain it back in time and less frustration with working on the beast during the life of the truck.

Reply to
L F

The other part of the myth is that in the past over the road trucks were basically rebuilt as part of the regular P/M program.

Reply to
Thomas Moats