V6 Diesel??

When will Ford put a V6 Diesel in a F150?? Now that would be nice, a F150 that gets 30 mpg.

Reply to
Marc

Or better yet, when when they put an inline 6 diesel into the F250/350 like they put in the 650?

Reply to
Advocate

Ford already has the engine, the 4.5L Power Stroke V6 Turbo Diesel, 200 hp and 440 lb.-ft. of torque, that is currently sold in their LCF Ford cab over trucks...

They just need to stick this engine in their F-150's...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Maybe soon. Last fall I saw a Ford V6 diesel in a cab-over type stake truck. It was brand new and had just been delivered to a truck dealership in Georgia. When it arrived all the diesel mechanics went out to inspect it.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

The current F150 was designed to accommdate a V6 Diesel complete with the fully boxed frame. The engine was in the end stages of development with Navistar and the plant was underway to build it when it was axed for some reason that has not been clear to me. Something about Ford did not find enough market for it to be economically feasible going into production resulting in Navistar going into reduced production for other uses. That was, of course, before this last goaround of fuel price increases. I'm sure someone here has a lot mor info.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

well my in-laws have a 99 dodge ram 2500 and it has a inline 6cl cummins turbo diesel. Not too heavy for the truck, and gets 30mpg easy. Now you just have to convince ford that it would be a good idea.

Darren

Marc wrote:

Reply to
woodee

Oh, I think the Cummins is pleanty heavy...and they don't get 30mpg. Mine never saw 20.

It's a great engine though. I didn't think much of the rest of the truck.

Reply to
Advocate

The Volkswagen direct injection diesel they put in their cars gets terrific mileage...Upwards of 50 mpg I believe. Some engineers claim that this engine in a hybrid is capable of getting 75 mpg.

The technology exists, I wish the U.S. auto makers would get on the stick before it's too late for them (Ford announced it's closing the Ranger plant in St. Paul in '07).

The American public needs to realize quickly that if Ford and General Motors close their doors, it would have a catastrophic effect on the economy.

Advocate in Minnesota

Reply to
Advocate

My 2004 3/4 ton CTD got 19.6 on the very first tank. I was driving it easy as per the manual during break-in. Now it will get over 20 if I'm real easy with it. And 13 if I'm not:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Apples and oranges comparisons. Look at the HP rating, torque rating and

0-60 times and then tell me you want to drive one. GM has a few cars selling in Europe that get those kind of ratings, 1.0 liter engine in a car makes a two seater Geo Metro look like a luxury sedan and the 0-60 time is an astounding 18.6 secs. No thank you.

People been saying the technology exists as long as I can remember, and I can remember paying 18 cents a gallon for Sunaco 260 blend, for the youngsters that was 100 octane fuel. It takes X amount of power to move y amount of weight at w speed. It and it takes a set amount of fuel to do it. You can only lean the mix so far befotre things start melting and coming apart.

nether ford nor GM are closing their doors anytime soon. GM is still the number one manufacturer of automobiles in the world, and Ford is third, with Toyota barely ahead at number two. While toy maybe closing the gap in the US, it still lags far behind world wide. My own personal opinion is this a union busting, and government aid scheme. Buick is the number one selling car in China, and a V-6 developed and built over there is slated to be brought over US usage, first going in the Saturn Veu last I read. Guess GM is tired of buying Honda engines.. And ford has so much Mazda in their cars its hard to figure out just what is Mazda, and what is Ford. Un believable the amount of government, read yours and mine, money Toyota gets for the plants in Tennessee.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

After Mercedes acquired Chrysler/Dodge, it was decided to replace the Dodge

1500/2500/3500 van series with a utility van used in Europe for many years. The result was the Dodge Sprinter. It is powered by a little, 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel that develops 154 horsepower. Unless you see the "Powered by Mercedes Diesel" badge on the side, you would never know it was a diesel listening to it idle. We have a PleasureWay camper built on the Sprinter 2500 chassis and the engine has plenty of power, scooting the rig along effortlessly at 70 mph, up and down hills. It also is claimed to get 22 mpg on the highway, although I think it may be a little optimistic. I haven't figured what it gets yet.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

That five banger has been around for years and is a good engine. But has some quirks that take getting used to. It has a narrow power band of 800 rpm, from 1,600 to 2,400 rpm. and max rpm of 3,800 rpm. The narrow power band is the reason for the 5 sp tranny. I never had an issue with it as was used to driving the old Detroit 2 stokers and they had an even narrower power band which is why they were coupled to 13 spds most of the time.

I see they don't offer it with a stick, which is good because I drove what it was based on in Germany, and the shifter flat stunk. And your not going to park one in a garage ether, at almost 8 ft tall in the "standard" height. You may have to be darn careful around bank drive through and fast food drive throughs, not to mention many parking garages. And it is one butt ugly van, but I imagine a pleasure to work out of, but easy to turn into a top heavy monster too.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Well, I guess that covers it ..... the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. My wife likes it though because for a RV, it is small and she feels comfortable driving it.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

and in about 9 months there will be a completely redisgned Sprinter available with a V6 diesel.

It is currently only available in Europe.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Thats too bad. We have a hangup with V-engines. Inline engines always out torque comparable V-engines.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

When you look at the really hard working Diesels, they are usually inline instead of "V" types. The only reasonfor a "V" type is packageing for space restrictions. If space is not a major consideration, an inline is usually a better layout.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut