Re: Puzzling "chirp" noise on 96 Ford Ranger

I have a 96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 V6 4liter

> There is a chirping sound (rubbing metal) coming from the engine area. I > know it is NOT the following: > - it's not a belt or any of the belt pulleys. It still made the sound > when the belt was removed and the truck was started. > - I had transmission work done a while back and I took it back there. > They found nothing. Flywheel and plate were fine. > > This is what I can describe: > It usually makes the chirping atleast once or twice per revolution. It > will usually only do it until the engine warms up. On cold starts it will > last until the engine warms up whether by driving of just idling (approx 2- > 5 minutes). Once the engine is warm it will give an occasional "chirp" > but far less frequent. There is ZERO reduction in performance. It runs > great, starts great. If I just turned up the radio (I'm hoping for a > better fix) I would never even notice it. > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. If someone can solve it, then they > will be one up on any local mechanic. > > Thanks in advance > -Tom

May be a piece of sheetmetal is vibrating against something also metal. Try applying pressure to your aircleaner and looking for heat shields etc that maybe loose.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Also check your distributor is not the source, depending on distributor type it may need lubrication to any centrifugal weights or the bushes are noisy. Water pumps can make noises also. An automotive diagnosis stethoscope from a bargain-barn or similar can be of great help.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James