Re: Stop the old oil change arguments...here's the scoop

I am the world's top authority on oil changes. Call me

> Mr. Motor Oil. > > Here's the bottom line on oil changes: The 3,000 mile interval is > a myth that the oil companies and oil change places have perpetuated.

It's not a myth. A myth is a story that explains something, like the story of Genesis or the story of Daedalis and Icuras. (A myth can be true.)

Furthermore, in the old days, changing oil that often was necessary. Now, with better engines and better oils, it is no longer needed.

It certainly wouldn't HURT to change your oil every 100 miles, but > even the most thick-headed can see that this would be overkill.

Wrong. You waste money and time. Plus, you run the risk of leaving something loose, like the oil drain plug or filter. Plus, you also run the risk that the oil change plug will be put in incorrectly, ruining the oil drain plug or oil pan.

I change my oil and filter in my Japanese car every 4,000 miles > and always have---and this is lots of city driving, and it is > STILL overkill. The car has over 180,000 miles on it, has never > required anything more than basic maintenance (no engine work) > and is still going like new. I've always used Castrol GTX dino, but > many quality brands will do.

If it is overkill, why do you do it? Doh! Not very bright, are you?

In my BMW, I change my oil about every 8,500 miles (if I followed > the "computer" it would be more like every 12,000 miles or so), > and use Mobile 1 Synthetic, which is overkill, but I do it anyway. > I just enjoy changing my oil I guess. But, you hard heads, do > the environment a favor and stop the unecessary oil changing.

If it is overkill, you shouldn't do it that often.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff