Re: What Is an American Car?

Do you own home work.

That's Mike's why of saying he has no clue what he is talking about and doesn't know how to back his statement.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Your uninformed or misinformed opinion does not deserve a reply

That's Mike's why of saying he has no clue what he is talking about and doesn't know how to back his statement.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike,

All you have to do to "inform" us is to supply a link to the mythical Department of Commerce web site that includes domestic content information for automobiles. You have made this claim many times and I am sure there is not such a site. However, you could prove me wrong with a simple link. Why not do so?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Mike you might want to review

. From page ix: "At this time (2000), summaries of label information - e.g., tables that list the make-models in each vehicle class by U.S./Canadian parts content - are not available to consumers via the news media or the Internet."

Now maybe htis has changed since 2000, but if it has, I still can't find the information. I have contacted NHTSA and asked how the information can be obtained. Maybe they'll tell me to ask Mike Hunt...

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I do not "save" links to places I have searched. If I can find the site, so can others who want to do the deep search needed to find information about GDP from the US Department of Commerce. Like I tell our friend Jeff, do your own homework ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The problem is you are searching for the wrong thing. Even Camrys made ENTIRELY in Japan of Japanese MATERIALS and PARTS, display a NA content label

If one make the component of a part offshore from materials off shore and assembles the final part in Canada it will meet the criteria of the NA parts label. Not the same as one where the components are made in THE US of materials made in THE US and assembled in THE US that is counted as factor used in THE US GNP.

Toyota buys from other Japanese corporations, operating plants in the US that use Japanese MATERIALS and COMPONENTS to make parts.

Domestics do not use Nippon Steel for instance, they American materials like steel, plastics, glass etc.. BIG difference when one is talking about what is MADE in the US and what is only assembled in the US

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are still full of it. Here in Waterloo Region we have many independent parts manufacturers making parts for Ontario built Toyotas, from materials sourced here in Canada. Now a LOT of materials are just plain NOT available in North America from North American sources as production has been shifted offshore for ecological reasons. (can't do it hear at the right price and still meet emissions and workplace safety requirements) so even North American manufacturers are using Chinese, Indian, or Korean sourced plastics etc, and virtually all electronic components are offshore manufactured, including the circuit boards and (possibly) assembled here.

And don't be too sure the Toyota bodies are made of Nippon steel either.

Reply to
clare

That is a ridiculous answer and you know it. I can't remeber the last time you actually provided any actual evidence for one of your off the wall claims. You need to quit making stuff up.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

You are free to believe what ever you chose. I could not care less, I know what I read at that site

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Then back it up for once in your life. If it is so easy to find then take a few minutes from you busy day and help us out.

You constantly say things that are easily proved false. You never admit it when you are clearly wrong. You just make flip remarks or claim double secret inside knowledge. I can't prove that there isn't a publically accessible government web site that provides domestic content information for cars sold in the US, but I doubt that there is. I have looked for it repeatedly and never found it. All the information I have found indicates that the government is deliberately not making this information readily available. You claim there is a web site with this information. Given your past history of blatantly making stuff up, I suspect this is another false Mike Hunt claim. However, you can easily prove me wrong by just pointing out the web site.

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

You will not find what you are looking for within the NA Parts language. The information you seek is available on the "US Department of Commerce" web site. Once there do a deep search in GNP.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

OK, I did as you suggested and it appears this is just more miss-direction. As far as I can tell, there is no such link at the Department of Commerce web site. I assume this was just your latest attempt to make it appears as if the information exists. If exists, posts the link. If you can't post a link, then quit wasting my time with deliberately miss-leading crap. It is a simple request. For years you have claimed that there is a site listing doemstic content of automobiles. Post it, or quit making the claim.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

As I said before if I can find that information so can others. You can believe whatever you choose and buy what ever you want to buy, I could not care less.

In any event you have it backwards. You are the one posting misinformation, by always pointing to the NA parts label, that Toyota is American made. The NA parts label is misleading in that it makes it appear parts assembled in NA of imported parts a American made. Toyotas TOTALLY made in Japan have the same parts label as those ASSEMBLED in the US. The parts, like the cars are only assembled in the US, of mostly imported parts and materials.

Toyota no longer says the Camry in made in America, they say ASSEMBLED in American of world sourced parts. Use you head, why would Toyota do that if the Camry was actually make in America?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

OK, I assume this is your way of saying the link doesn't exist and you made it up. Fine. Quit making the claim.

I have never made this claim. You are either confusing me with someone else, or just makig stuff up .

This is true and I have never claimed anything else. In fact I have posted links that describe the parts content label that support this statement. For a given car line, the NA content label will generally list the same NA content no matter where the vehicle is assembled (it sometimes changes during a model year - particularly for cars like the Camry, where the percentage of complete cars imported changes). This can be misleading, since it may show all Camry's have having a 65% NA content, when in fact, some cars come from Japan and have nearly 100% Japan content. However, the flip side is that US assembled Camrys must have a much higher than 65% contnet, since the average content on their label is pulled down by the Camry's imported from Japan.

Maybe becasue they are being honest, but more likely becasue they are now importing a higher percentage of Camrys, or Camry parts from Japan. It might also be becasue someone sic'd the FTC on them :) The rules for labeling products "as made in the US" are available on line (see

). Ford should say the same thing about Mustangs, or Fusions as Toyota says about Camrys. I doubt you can find a single vehicle sold in the US that has 100% US, or even 100% North American sourced parts. Only a few (like the F150) qualify as "Assembled in USA" without qualification.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White