What is the procedure for checking A/T Fluid

What IS the proper procedure for checking the level of the AutoTrans fluid? Engine on/off? Car in Park/Neutral with brake on? I'm getting differing advice on this from friends.

Reply to
Jrludi

Yes.

Depends on the car.

Reply to
Calab

Unless they have changed the procedure it has always been car/transmission warmed up, in park with engine running on level ground.

Reply to
tnom

Yep...most cars. On some fords, they recommend driving 20-30 minutes, including highway speeds, then stopping and immediately checking it while running, hot and level. ..and on some, i.e., my 99 taurus with AX4N, they want it exactly FULL, not between add and full...so figure THAT out...

best to find a manual, or check with a dealer and verify... Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

Like Caleb said, it depends. A lot of Chryslers, as well as some others, made you check them in neutral, with the park brake on of course.

Reply to
Kruse

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

For Hondas you warm up the engine, shut the engine OFF, then check the AT fluid level within one minute after shutdown.

Reply to
Tegger

Read the instructions in your owners manual or contact the service department of a dealer that sells the brand of car.

Reply to
John S.

read the owner's manual.....

Reply to
Bob M.

My Saab classic 900's have a 'hot' and 'cold' range marked on the ATF dipstick so depending what the engine temp is (ie. if the engine is off and cold or has been running for a while) the ATF level can be checked.

Craig.

Reply to
Saab C900 Viggenist

Most I have seen have the directions printed right on the dipstick when you pull it out. I would check that first.

Be aware it is usually only a pint between full and empty and overfilling it is 'bad' news. Better slightly low than overfull.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Reply to
Mike Romain

Check your owner's manual for any variation of the procedure to check the transmission fluid level. Otherwise, this procedure works well enough for most vehicles...

  1. Ensure the vehicle is on relatively level ground.
  2. Warm up the vehicle at idle for about 5 minutes.
  3. While the engine is still running, repeat these two steps a couple of times:
  • Move the gear shift lever all the way down--do this one gear at a time and stop for about 1/2 to 1 second at each gear stop.
  • Move the gear shift lever all the way up--do this one gear at a time and stop for about 1/2 to 1 second at each gear stop.
  1. Gear shift lever should now be left in Park. Engage the parking brake as an additional safety measure.
  2. Check transmission fluid levels while the engine is still running at idle. Most dipsticks have a crosshatched area that the fluid level should be within to ensure that the transmission is not underfilled or overfilled.

WARNING #1: Beware of any fans and/or hot radiator hoses near the location of the transmission fluid dipstick.

WARNING #2: Always check the owner's manual for the correct transmission fluid type if the transmission fluid level is low.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

I want to thank everyone at has posted a reply to this post. You've all been very helpful!! JRL

Reply to
Jrludi

No, that hasn't "always" been correct. Some models (Chrysler Torqueflites for example) have specified neutral instead of park as far back as the 50s and 60s. On those transmissions, there is a different fluid circulation path between park and neutral, and so a false-high reading can occur in park.

OTOH, 90s Chrysler transmissions specified park instead of neutral. In short, ALWAYS READ THE MANUAL FOR THE CAR BEING CHECKED.

Reply to
Steve