Repost: 99 MERC SABLE - intermittent start problem

Another incident today. 20-minute drive; 5 minute stop; crank but no start. Disconnect battery for several minutes - no help. Tried spare key - no help. Let car sit for 1 hour - started right up.

---< original post >----- Perhaps someone else has wisdom that can help. AUTO: 1999 Mercury Sable LS sedan, 24V, 58,000 miles.

ISSUE: Cranks and often ignites but idles at low (1/4 tank of gas in summer.

- When the car starts, it runs perfectly - smooth and powerful.

- Dealer replaced Fuel Pump Relay after event #2; then event 3 occurred.

- After events 2 and 3, no apparent error codes when connected to computer.

- There was once a PATS system error discovered in the log.

- I did not think to observe the THEFT indicator during these events.

- After complaining of musty smell in climate control, dealer installed

"feature" that runs the climate control fan to help clear out the air chambers.

- There have been four total events like this within 3 years. First event at 38,000 miles. No start, no fuel pump sound. Sit for 1 hour waiting for tow. Started right up - could have driven it onto the flatbed. Replaced fuel pump (not sure why).

QUESTIONS:

- Has anyone observed (and solved) this issue?

- Do fuel pumps behave intermittently or do they fail "hard" and not recover?

- Any clue why time is my friend with this error? That is, what would change by letting the car sit for 30-45 minutes?

Thanks in advance! NZ

Posted to: alt.autos.ford and rec.autos.tech

Reply to
Pedaler

Did you try the 'clear flood condition' routine?

Hold pedal to floor while cranking.

If that doesnt work, THEN you pump the pedal while cranking.

Would help to know if either , and which, helps.

Assume in recent events you hear the fuel pump.

- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -

By the way, in future dont include 'other things' makes it hard to analyse.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

OP can rule out fuel supply by monitoring fuel rail pressure. Now, the question is, can he spend a couple dollars for a Fuel Injection Pump tester ( fuel rail pressure gauge ).

I dunno. I have one but it screws _directly_ into the fuel rail ( no schrader valve supplied on my fuel rails, just bolts in testing ports ).

It is an analog gauge, but it won't lie when it comes to telling you if your system is pressurizing and holding steady. Thing of it is...it's on a short hose, and you can't drive around watching it, but you CAN GOOSE THE THROTTLE from under the hood and watch what happens.

Includes Flex hoses, fittings, and instructions

HARBOR FREIGHT Item # 92699

He can save himself a Lot of Trouble and time by isolating the problem. It could be an intermittent electrical connection to the pump, or something else, like a leaking vacuum hose.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Maybe the ignition module?