Where's the flying Pinto?

The only thing to save Ford, GM or Daimler-Chrysler will be to build cars the foreigners don't. That's the way to beat this game. As long as these three losers play catch up, the public will vote Toyota, Nissan and Chery.

Now that Ford has mortgaged their farm for 8 billion dollars, that's just enough to bring out one last new product the foreigners don't sell: the flying automobile. The last flying Pinto was actually developed to a flying demostration for a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It was a grandiose, underfunded project run by two private individuals, yet succeeded in proving the reality of a concept, the dream of a practical ground car capable of practical aerial travel as well. Mass produced, such a vehicle could be sold for the price of fully loaded SUV and get you to where you want to go three times as fast without traffic tickets. The original flying Pinto crashed but that was because it wasn't a factory project. A factory flying Pinto would be crash-proof to the same extent as your family sedan, otherwise Ford wouldn't market it. GM has its Corvette and D-C has its Viper, but those are mere ground cars. Ford has in its very grasp the Flying Pinto ripe for the taking if its new transplanted Boeing CEO will act with conviction. Flying Pinto, the top of the line corporate showpiece of all time.

Reply to
George Orwell

Please take your anti-ford and anti-American rhetoric elsewhere. This is a group for Ford enthusiasts.

Reply to
rmac

When you say catch up, are your refer to GM and Ford, both of whom outsell Toyota, Honda, Nissan etal? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota is the world's # 2 automaker behind GM, for now. Within a year, it is expected to be #1.

One thing that the big 3 exceed Toyota and the rest of the Asian car companies on is their unsold inventory. GM has enough to last 2 and 1/2 months. Toyota's inventory will only last one month.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

you forgot to say in my opinion. GM and Ford sell far more vehicles in the US than any import brand. Toyota has so many left over 2006s they are offering big rebates and zero interest, for up to sixty month to get rid of them. GM and Ford on the other hand have relatively few.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I did not. The fact is that Toyota is growing. Ford has cut production. And Toyota is the world's # 2 automaker. And soon (within a year or so) will be #1.

Did you read what I said; Toyota is the *world's* #2 automaker. I am able to see beyound the shores of this great nation.

Toyota's inventory is about one month:

Ford and GM both have about 2 1/2 months' worth of inventory:

?dist=newsfinder&siteid=mktw&guid=%7B6FD0286F-F968-44B7-AA55-3AD9810E2672%7D Looking at the 18444 ZIP code, Toyota has up to $3000 cash back on its 2006 pickup; Ford, $5000. And Ford is offering up to $3000 back on its 2007 models vs $0 for Toyota. Now, who is trying harder to get rid of trucks?

Now when you come back that I am incorrect, provide evidence.

I noticed how you totally removed my reference without indicating that fact.

One only can conclude that the truth bothers you.

And the truth is that Toyota will be bigger than GM in around 1 year and is already bigger than Ford.

In the US, GM and Ford are still bigger, but GM, Ford and Toyota are playing the world market, not just the US market.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you know what the future will bring you should be buying lottery tickets. LOL

mike

The fact is that Toyota is growing. Ford has cut production. And

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I see again, you deleted my citations without indicating the fact that you deleted them.

I do know that Toyota is expanding in the US. Ford and GM are shrinking. And Toyota is growing faster than either Ford or GM internationally.

I was also looking at the past, like the data released and reported at the beginning of November that shows that Ford and GM have inventories that will last much longer (like 2 to 4 times longer) than those of Toyota.

And examined your claim that Toyota has bigger incentives than Ford. And you were proven wrong again.

I don't know exactly what the future will bring, but I predict that in the future will say something that is incorrect (like that VIN inidcates the percent of domestic content of cars and trucks), you will be unable to back your claim and then you will not acknowledge that you were incorrect.

This is called a 'trend.'

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Spin it anyway you wish the fact remains GM and Ford sell more vehicles in the US than any import. You ignorance on a subject does not make something incorrect. > This is called a 'trend.'

The VIN number does indeed indicate the US total content of a vehicles assembled in the US. That is the reason the FTC requires three digits to designate those assembled in the US.. GM, Ford Chrysler and Hondas assembled in the US, of the correct amount of US content exhibit a 1 Those with lesser US content like some Fords trucks sold as L/M and all Camry exhibit a

  1. Those with the least US content like the Tundra exhibit a 5 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And Ford and GM have too much inventory, despite the fact that Ford cut back drastically on assembly. I noticed you forgot to indicate that you deleted my comment about this or even respond to this.

In addition, Toyota is bigger than Ford and will soon be biggest in the world.

The FTC doesn't do this. Under US Law, the Department of Transportation does this.

Your eplaination fails to explain why the Linclon Navigator VIN begins with '5' and Ford Expedition VINs have a '1'.

This doesn't explain why the Ford Escape VINs begins with '1' and the Mazda Tribute VIns begins with a '4'.

In both cases, the Expedition and Navigator & Escape and Tribute are made at the same plant with nearly identical percent of US content

Or why the Ford SUVs like Escape, Explorer, Exhibition all begin with '1', the Mercury SUVs (Mountaineer) VINs begin with '4' and the Lincoln Navigator VINs begin with '5'.

However, this website does:

The VIN indicates the manufacturer (Ford, Lincoln, Mazda and Mercury are different makers, even though they are all owned by Ford).

I have no idea where you came up with the idea that the US Gov't requires the content to be indicated by the VIN. The reason why there are three different first letters/numbers in the US VINs is that the in the US, there are motorcycles, 4-wheelers, tractors, cars, trucks, snowmobiles, big dump trucks, fire trucks, and many other vehicles that require VINs. More so than are made in most other countries.

My prediction that you would say something that is incorrect and that you are unable to back your claim was correct. Now, let's see if my prediction that you will not acknowledge that your were incorrect is correct.

However, if I am incorrect, I will acknowledge that. Please provide evidence that I am incorrect. I think I pretty much destoryed your theory that the first digit of the VIN indicates US content.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Your failure to understand does not change anything. You are free to believe whatever you chose but that too changes nothing. Although the Ford vehicles you mentioned are made on the same assembly line, they do not have the same US content among them and thus exhibit 4 or 5 as the first number of the VIN rather than a '1' as do the corresponding Fords that do have sufficient US content to exhibit a '1.' Higher line models for instance have interiors etc. made in Canada for one. That effects the NA content label but lowers the actual US content, that includes more than the sum of the parts.

Automobile VINs have no relationship to other types of vehicles as you seem to believe. VINs are specific to types as well as brand names, as you noted in the various Ford built brands. I E the CVs are 'P' models and the GMs are 'M.' The last six digits are vehicle specific Not even the best selling vehicle in the world the 'F Series' has sold over 950,000 in one model year it never got over 1,000,000. If it did a change in the check digit would allow for another 999,999. In other words to Ford F150s built in the a particular plant, with the same body style, SRS, engine, etc exhibited in the VIN, could have the exact same VIN # with the exception for the tenth digit. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What don't I understand? I have been able to back my claims. And I failed to find any evidence that backs your claims. Had I found the evidence that backs your claim, I would have posted it.

Likewise for you.

Yet, had you looked at the references I cited, you would know that the US content of the different models is all above 80%, so they should have '1' by your criteria.

So all the Ford-brand vehicles are >70% US content, all the Mercury-brand has between 40% and 70% and all Lincoln-brand vehicles are 70% content for similar vehicles in the Ford brand and < 40% for Lincolns. And an intermediate amount for Mercuries. And, do this consistantly year after year.

Actually, the best selling vehicle in the world is the Toyota Corolla (over

31,60,000,000 sold in about 40 years). And they do sell over 1,000,000 Corrollas a year.

the Chevy Impalla did sell over 1,000,000 cars the year I was born (not that is in the calander year, not model year, so that doesn't mean there were 1,000,000 in a model year - I just don't have the data).

Actually, it would allow for another 1,000,000. There are 10 digits. And

10x10x10x10x10x10 = 1,000,000.

However, there is no requirement that the characters be digits. So you could have an 'A' as the first character, and get another 100,000 numbers that way.

Yeah, your piont is?

That is correct for off-road vehicles built after 2004:

However, other types of on-road vehicles (construction vehicles, trucks, buses, fire trucks, ambulances, etc.), use the same VIN system.

Anyway, we have been through this before. You have totally failed to provide any evidence to support your opinion. I have backed my opinion from various sources, including the media and the US law.

If you have something correct and intelligent to say, I will respond to you again in this thread. Until then, I will not respond to you in this thread. You have clearly shown your ignorance and inability to assimilate new facts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

A lot, apparently. You were obviously not a math major. If you were, you would know six digits can never total one million for one. No manufacture has ever sold a million of one model, in one year, for another. If you actually knew anything about VINs you would know, that by their very nature, that they change by model and they change annually for the same model. You are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how convoluted your logic may be. You are a waist of time, trying to enlighten, bye bye LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

right here, but I Dont think its a Ford.....

ShoeSalesman

Pinto was the name of the guy flying the plane.

However, Ford did make a trimotor airplane back before I was even a smile on my father's face.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yet I started before one: 000000-999999 provides 1,000,000 possibilities.

10 x 10 x 10 x10 x 10 x 10 = 1,000,000.

Notice, I did not say in the US. There were more than 1,000,000 Toyota Corollas sold through the world. Which makes the Toyota Corolla the best selling vehicle on the planet, ever.

And the Chevy Impala sold more than 1,000,000 in the year I was born, too.

The problem is that you are unable to back your opinion.

I have backed my consistantly.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Like I said if you actually knew what you were talking about you would knew no individual VIN number would begin below the number one. The fact remains, no matter what you choose to believe, no manufacturer has ever sold

1,000,000 of an individual model in any one year, period. Back when Chevy was the number one selling brand only around 6,000,000 total vehicles were sold in the US. Today the total is around 16,000,000. The best selling individual model is, and has been for nearly 30 years, the Ford F150. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota sold 1,350,000 Corollas in 2005. They weren't all in the US. I never claimed they were.

Incorrect. The best selling model is The Toyota Corolla. Toyota sold

31,600,000 since 1966. It tool Ford 18 more years to sell 2,600,000 fewer F-series trucks. (The F-series is the best-selling US model, however; I never claimed otherwise.)

And in 1965, more than 1,000,000 Chevy Impalas were sold in the US.

Please note that I have provided evidence for my information. Please do the same if you wish to refute me. There is a first for everything.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I have no problem with being corrected. You are indeed correct for a change about the 58 Impala, but the 58 was actually two different models, built on two different GM chassis, as were the Olds 88 and 98, but Chevy used a common model name. As to the Corollas sold around the word, there are several vehicles sold in several markets that carry the Corolla name plate. They have the same name but they are not the same vehicle. The F150 is still king, if one adds the various F Series the numbers are even higher. The Tundra pales in comparison even to the F250

Reply to
Mike Hunter

GM will even sell you an import from Korea.

Reply to
who