Sales Are Way Off, Could It Be the Tires?

While I agree that often the lower wider business is taken too far, I don't think we will see any return to -80 profiles on automobiles.

The tire companies love 'em because for some reason people are willing to pay more for low profiles. I bet that the automakers are not paying these premiums, but that only the aftermarket buyer does.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Lots of folks have been surprised at how fast the -50 and lower profile tires often wear and how easy it is to do massively expensive rim damage. Ask any Volvo 850R owner!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Which is, in itself, poor grammar.

SIGH.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

It's of the

Drinka Pinta Milka Day

variety, a 'poem' once promoted by a government (probably in South Africa, but might have been in Britain; I was in both in my youth).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote in news:m4GdnbaW_- snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

I kind of figured this is where it would go, but I was courious how far it would go. :) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

"Courious" must be, without a doubt, nothing less than even more bait.

Reply to
.

Those I can accept. Where I draw the line is the totally ignorant sounding "Ima" for "I'm going to" that I commonly see in postings on certain forums, as in "Ima replace my tires next week".

Dori A Schmetterl> It's of the

Reply to
Bill Putney

In my humble opinion, I think a lot of the new garbage-can-lid-size wheels look stupid, kind of like someone with one of their nostrils pierced or something. The size of the wheels alone just looks wrong, and there are many styles which are just butt ugly. And don't even get me started on how bad they look when someone puts them on a '57 Chevy or certain old classics. But then, I guess pretty much everything has to look stupid to be cool now. To cite the example of someone piercing their nostril or eyebrow: It's like taking your green car and putting one pink door on it ("There, I IMPROVED it...cool, huh?") Damn right it's cool--because it's ugly. But, hey, I guess it IS really expensive, so that makes it cool right there. It'd be like like buying a new, expensive picture window for your house, and having it installed at about a 27=B0 angle, which would cost even more. Ad the window wouldn't work right, and would wear out prematurely. You'd have paid out a bunch of money for something that didn't make the house look better, but rather it looks wrong now, even silly.

Reply to
Gomer Einstein

I'm sure you're right. Also the tires the auto manufacturers don't want, for reasons such as too much off balance, are sold through the after market retail.

Reply to
Spam Hater