Small Car EPA comparison

Just curious, so Ithought I'd share this: I chose base engines with auto, for comparison purposes.

Model hwy/city/overall

Focus: 32/26/28 Cobalt: 32/24/27 Civic: 40/30/34 Corolla: 38/30/33 Mazda 3: 34/26/29 Caliber: No Entry??

All figures from the EPA.

In short, the new cobalt is slightly worse than the old-design focus. The '3' has a reputation as having pretty poor gas mileage, but in fact is better than the domestic brands. However, the honda and toyota are amazing. if you're in the market for a small car, and can afford the premium for an import, AND gas mileage is one of your top concerns....there's really only 2 choices.

Interesting. JP

Reply to
Jon Patrick

These numbers are gathered on a dynamometer with tightly controlled ambient conditions. Real world numbers can vary significantly.

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:wquwg.124495$I61.106818@clgrps13:

True, but those tightly controlled conditions allow for a comparison, versus talking to 2 neighbors who have different brands and asking what their mileage. Oddly, my focus gets almost exactly the EPA's estimate. JP

Reply to
Jon Patrick

Definitely... but it is important to remember that these numbers are for comparison only.... Driving style has a big effect... Engine design has a big effect...

I don't think many come here to compare new cars...

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:j1Gwg.160154$771.75606@edtnps89:

Except Mike H... and then there's no 'comparison'.:)

I did this little analysis for me, and thought I'd share it. JP

Reply to
Jon Patrick

Yet the bad driving styles would affect the gas mileage of different cars similarly. For example, a lead foot would affect the mileage of both a Dodge Stratus and Honda Accord. Of course, it wouldn't affect the mileage of a hybrid as much. Likewise, keeping tire properly inflated will help both the Stratus and Accord. I don't think engine design will affect how well the EPA numbers apply to a particular driver that mcuh, however.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah it is.. for SMALL CARS

Makes my 230KMile 93 tbird 24/23/20 and 190 KMile 95 Taurus 27/24/21 ACTUAL recorded..Look pretty freaking good!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Did you compare engines? Did you figure how much gas one can buy with the difference in drive home prices?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Good point. My one son bought a 3 dr Focus with a 5 speed manual, to use on his long 150 mile round trip commute to work. Eventually he had a chance to get into a five man car pool, so he buys a V8 Mercury Grand Marquis. The actual difference between the two, running over the mountains to Harrisburg Pa, 5 MPG. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's close to the EPA difference (32 Highway for Focus - 25 Highway Grand Marquis = 7 MPG).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nope. Wasn't the point. JP

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Reply to
Jon Patrick

Imagine that! What is really amazing was the price difference. 16K for the Focus an only 19K for a loaded GS GM ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm wondering if we should start another group:

alt.autos.ford.alt ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic