Spark plug replacement on a 5.4

This may sound dumb but I am not a mechanic. Where is the spark plug placement on a 5.4? What is the torque specs?

Reply to
Bigdawg66

no mechanic then dont even try LMFAO

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

This is a COP (Coil On Plug) arrangement...... you'll notice the ignition coils situated along the top edge of each valve cover, right beside the fuel injectors. This job is fraught with "gotchas" if you are unwary. Start with a cool motor and blow any dust/debris from around the COP area on both sides of the motor. Each coil has a two wire connector and a 7mm socket is required to remove the screws.... some of these are a tad difficult to reach. Once the coils are out, the plug wells will need to be cleaned... shop air is *usually* enough but water, coolant or other debris can make it's way into the wells. There have been occasions where the plug boots ahve become married to the walls of the plug wells.... usually #3 and #4 and usually in response to coolant escaping the heater connections. I use liberal amounts of WD40 and work the plug boot around in the well to break it free. It is quite easy to rip the plug boot off in the well - this will NOT make you happy. Additionally, we have come across the very odd plug with enough crap around it to prevent engaging the hex of the socket. One of our techs fashioned something akin to a hole saw for cleaning these out.

Installation torque is 13 ft/lb. You may want to take a hard stare at this project before taking it on. When they go easy, they go easy but the task can take some nasty turns.

"Bigdawg66" wrote in message news:KvqdnVaG5dPu9BbfRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have one of those old Rainbow vacuum cleaners (the kind with a water reservoir instead of a bag) and for my 4.6 I have rigged a foot long piece of clear plastic hose slightly smaller than the plug wells with little notches cut in the bottom end to the vacuum hose. I had a paranoia about crap falling through the spark plug hole. :)

Once I remove the boots, I pour a little hot soapy water in the well and let it soak for a few minutes then suck it out.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

lmfao i usually warm the motor up if plugs havent been changed lately it makes them easier to get out

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96