Stabilizer Link/Taurus

If anyone knows their way around the suspension for a 93 Taurus, I am looking for some opinions, or ideas.

The front stabilizer link/bar is clunking pretty good. I noticed that the rubber boots were shot on the link, so I replaced it, and the noise was gone. Not soon after, it started up again, different, and a big louder, and I assume the link is a cheap piece of junk, but the more I think about it, the more I don't understand what is really going on, as the link is just the bar, with the two "ball joints" at either end and it cannot make the kind of noise I am hearing.

Now I am looking at the stabilizer bar (or is it called the torsion bar?) that connects from the link, to the frame. Its solid, the bushings look fine, and I don't see any indication of excess wear around it.

I am presently driving the car without the stabilizer link. I don't find it any different in handling, or responsiveness, so I could be talked into leaving it off, lacking any driving around here on winding roads, or anything like that.

The link is such a wimpy thing, that I don't see how it can do much, and how it can be generating such a clunk. Seems reasonable to think its being connected is causing something else on the suspension to make the clunk, but I don't know what it could be.

Just throwing that out there in hopes that someone might have a clue, thought, idea, or opinion that might give me some insight

Much obliged for the bandwidth.

John

Reply to
uvcceet

Are you sure your motor mounts are intact? Look closely for any viscous Goop leaking out. Or your front motor mount missing its only mount screw into the block.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz