steering fluid ques?

Is there a proper way to change steering fluid??

-Do you have to bleed the line somehow to keep air out??

-or can you just siphon off the resevoir and replace a few times?

Thanks

Reply to
WG

How much mess you willing to make?

Best way to do it is remove return (low pressure) line at the pump, extend it and drain into bucket as you idle car and turn wheel slowly lock to lock, till fluid runs clear.

Best done with a helper, must keep fluid in reservoir, by adding, as you do that.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The easiest way is to remove the return line from the pump and place it securely into a quart container. Have somebody start the car then turn the wheel from lock to lock, while you pour clean fluid into the tank to replace the fluid going into the container. Do so until the fluid entering the container is clean, two quarts should do the job. Do NOT let the pump run low

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If I decide to do just a partial change by siphoning the resevoir then refilling, does this put air in the line or is this OK to do?? Thanks

Reply to
WG

If I decide to do just a partial change by siphoning the resevoir then refilling, does this put air in the line or is this OK to do?? Thanks

Reply to
WG

Well, the system holds about 40 oz, the reservoir about 6-8 oz

why bother!

If your engine uses one quart between oil changes, do you just change the filter? After all, 25% of the oil is being changed, that way.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It is perfectly fine to do. No this will not get air in the lines. And it is alot better than not doing anything. And its not the end of the world if you get air into the system.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

on a slightly different subject, I bought a used 02 Escort. The PS fluid is black. Kinda reminds me of the old Arco graphite oil. What's up with that?

I suspect that I should change the fluid. The manual I downloaded says to use Mercon ATF fuild. Is that still the case or should I try the clear fluid I can buy?

Reply to
Jerry

It may not infuses air into the system but it will not remove the dirt either.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter