storing my son's f-150 for 6 to 8 months

I am getting to park my son's 2003 F-150 in a storage facility (outside) for 6 to 8 months. He just left to go to Iraq (he is in Marine Corps). I am in Sugar Land, Texas (outside Houston).

Should I do anything special for his truck while he is gone ? The tires are just about new (2000 miles). It is a V6 with a 5 speed manual. He has about 40,000 miles on it.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I'm sure that if you "google" the subject, you will see a lot of variations on the theme..... By far, the easiest way to take care of the concern is for you to take it for a good drive at least once a month..... From there we can go to the other extreme.... support the vehicle on it's jack points.... fill the tires with nitrogen, change engine oil, flood the cylinders with fogging oil, drain the fuel system completely..... .... this list can go on for a while if you choose to be anal......

Driving it occasionally is, by far, the easiest route.... Drive it long enough to be sure that everything is up to operating temp

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ditto!

From experience can tell you that is the easiest and best way. Once a month, at least half hour, and at highway/exercise speeds... not around the block at 25 mph 100 times.

Will take out condensation from block and trans. Also, Fill the fuel tank near-full and use sta-bil.

Good Luck and my thanks and best wishes to your son!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Acually for that length of time, you don't need to do anything; if it is exposed to full sun, you might put a car cover on it; worse case scenario would be a drained battery; you could remove the battery and store it in your garage, if you wanted. You must be very proud of your son. May God be with him.

Reply to
Ted

Looks like you have some good advice already. Best wishes to your son.

Reply to
jcr

the theme..... By far, the easiest way to take care

month..... From there we can go to the other extreme....

change engine oil, flood the cylinders with fogging oil,

you choose to be anal......

to be sure that everything is up to operating temp

Thanks. I will try to drive it around every month or so. My greatest concern is getting flat spots on his new tires. I may buy him a cover of some sort. Cant be plastic though, around here that would melt in July.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

considering gas is blended weekly for climate this is RETARDED a full tank of stale gas

LMFAO think of the solidified olefins

h u r c

Reply to
simpson4532

You missed adding sta-bil to the gas. Gas will easily last 6-months with yjr sta-bil additive.

It would still be best to drive the vehicle once a week, however.

Reply to
jcr

on the theme..... By far, the easiest way to take care

month..... From there we can go to the other extreme....

change engine oil, flood the cylinders with fogging oil,

you choose to be anal......

enough to be sure that everything is up to operating temp

Trapped moisture/condensation that can form under a cover will etch paint. Forget the cover...unnecessary. Driving it every week or two would keep seals and gaskets from drying out as well.

Reply to
jcr

pssssssst so will the olephin build up will last long after 6 months too

ya missed the point about BLENDED WEEKLY FOR TEMP

foctard

Reply to
simpson4532

Got some Sta-Bil at Walmart last night. Expensive, 32 oz for $9.88.

Thank you. He called from Kuwait last week and is doing well. He is now in Iraq. I am very proud of him and very scared. I know that he will be OK though, he is well trained and has 1,000 buddies watching his back there (his batallion).

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

You will only have that problem if you cover it with something other than a car cover; covers are specilly designed to not trap moisture, but they do protect from UV radiation that over time can damage paint.

Reply to
Ted