T-Bird 1994

Has anyone experienced this one, if so, any thoughts? After about 30-40 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic, when accelerating the RPM's go to 3000 and the car does not move any faster. It feels as if the transmission is not functioning and I am in neutral. It then "catches" and will continue on. This may happen 5 times during this interval. On short trips (time and distance)- no problem. On the freeway, no problem. One shop replaced the transmission fluid, a few months later another shop used more expensive transy fluid. With tongue in cheek, I took it to the dealer. They diagnosed it as a sensor after having it in the shop for a week. The very next day- same problem. After a second week in the shop- no answer. Other than B to B and 30-40 minutes of it, the car works fine. Thanks

Reply to
Fred Leickly

Don't know the solution to your problem. But, has anyone advised you that the transmission in the '94 T-Bird (and also '93 and '95, I believe) is a POS? Transmission repair companies love the T-Birds and Taurus's of that vintage. It keeps them in business.

Not trying to disparage your ownership of the car. I've got one too. The tranny is a POS, the brakes are a POS, and I believe I am now learning that the timing chains are a POS. I've got 9 Fords in my past and I've liked everyone one of them, except for this '94 T-Bird POS.

It is my understanding that the tranny in our vehicles was not engineered with adequate fluid cooling to certain parts. I suspect in your B to B that the tranny is heating up and acting up. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a class action suit against Ford for these trannies.

Fred Leickly wrote:

Reply to
getupand

Pat is probably correct to suspect the MLP (Manual Lever Position) sensor. I owned a '94 T-Bird and I had the same problem. This part is not expensive and it is possible to replace it yourself. Check out the following site for more information in their Tech articles area:

When mine would act up I would pull over to the side of the road and shut the car off. I would then move the shift lever from park down to low and back again and repeat this for maybe a dozen times or so. This routine would usually solve the problem for awhile and then it would return. Finally I replaced the part and it never bothered again.

Desertguy

Reply to
Desert Guy

I gotta '94 TBird LX V8 with 4r70w tranny. Have had very similar problems over the years.

There are numerous potential points of failure in the the 4r70w. I've not been able to sort it all out. It is a "problem tranny".

Try this: let off the gas and shift to neutral when it revs up. When it gets down to idle gently shift back into drive. This is what I've been doing.

Good Luck, David

Reply to
David Nasser