T-bird '91 trannsmision

Hi,

Yesterday my car my car lost all oil from transmission. However I was ready to rebuild it, I had already rebuild kit and Chilton's manual. (there was no

4-th gear)

The problem is with Chilton's manual which didn't let me sleep last night, I found there "trnasmission application chart". There is info that 1991 T-birds and Cougars has A4LD transmission (T letter is identification for this tranny and also for AOD from previous years)!!.

I couldn't check oil pan because it was late in night.

Please make me sure theat in my car is AOD, I have all parts to rebuild. I'm not from US and it takes some time to get this parts.

My car is 1991 5.0 Thunderbird

Thanks Mark PL

Reply to
Maro

If it is a 5.0L, it should be the AOD. AFIK, the A4LD was only used behind 6 cylinder engines. The chart I have shows the AOD for both the 3.8L & the 5.0L engines for 85-92 'Birds. If you have lost 4th gear, it is likely an OD band failure which is usually a result of low line pressure. The low line presure is often a result of a damaged bushing where the transmission throttle cable attaches to the engine. Make sure you check this and replace with the updated part. The throttle cable must be properly adjusted to prevent this and make sure the trans shifts properly. Otherwise, it will soon fail again. If you intend to do a proper overhaul of the trans, make sure you have the plastic seal protectors to install the clutch pack seals. You will also need a clutch pack compressor to disassemble/reassemble them. A good low range torque wrench is immensely valuable in rebuilding this trans as the settings can be critical. As far as the Chilton manual, you can go ahead and burn it for what it is worth in this repair. Either get the Ford factory manual or the ATSG manual for your trans. The tools and the manual are all available on the net if you run a few Google searches.

Reply to
lugnut

Don't worry about it, the A4LD was used behind the 3.8L V6, not the 5.0L V8. The "LD" stands for Light Duty...

Steve

Reply to
always

I am changing fluid right now on my '93 Cougar 3.8L. It has the AOD - the oil pan has very pretty script "Automatic Overdrive" stamped into it.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

--- snip ---

A friend's son had the damaged bushing on a '91 Cougar, knew not what to do, lost tranny function before we could tell him what to do.

It's one of the damnedest examples of automotive mis- engineering I've ever seen. Blow a tranny on account of a $2 connector part that was *designed* to fail.

How many years did it go on like that? '89 to '93??

A tip of the hat to lugnut for pointing this out. Things that are massively illogical don't stick in my memory: I'd totally forgotten. Of course, I've gotta 4r70w now: hopefully I'll remember at least some of it's bugaboo's. :-)

Somewhere out there is a poor retiree, fixed income, no extra $, nursed his old Cougar or 'Boid like a baby. Tomorrow he/she'll be looking at $750 for a tranny overhaul?

"Honest Folks Shouldn't Hafta Suffer Such Idiocies!"

Kindly 'scuse the rant.

Cheers, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Well Puddin, You are talking about a car that is now 10+ years old. When the car was made, that bushing may have been the latest and greatest compound that ever was. After 10 years it degraded and fell apart. Who could know? Unless you want that part to be released in 1981 and then studied until 2001, even then it's 3 years before the studies that said the compund was ok for TV bushings in 2005.. Ford conceeded to a design flaw that went back (?) years. How far back should it go??

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Do you have evidence that it was "latest and greatest"?

I have evidence that it was Junk.

Engineers who properly design autos to last 10+ years, that's who.

Well, we know it wasn't Ford's fault, 'cause all the GM's and MoPar's etc were -also- blowing trannies because of mutant $2 parts. Eh? Eh?? :-) (-:

"Quality Is Job One!!!!!!"

I haven't heard that Ford conceded anything whatsoever. If they did concede (please provide evidence), how many owners do you think have heard of it?

Ford has no monopoly on mis-engineering etc. All major car makers produce some junk, it's just a question of degree. If one can properly assess degree before purchasing, one can likely avoid numerous headaches. Caveat Emptor!

Cheers, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

If it has a vacuum modulator(small cylinder usually located on top of transmission housing, with a rubber line going to manifold vacuum on the engine), it's NOT an AOD. If it doesn't, it's not an A4LD.

Reply to
BuckerooBanzai

Thanks for help,

Definitely T-bird 1991 5.0 has AOD. I still don't have a 4-th gear, but it's so cold, that I will fix it after winter.

however I have another problem with car (colling fluid in oil). I will ask about it in another thread.

Mark

Reply to
Maro