Thanks, Bob et al (94 Taurus engine noise)

Thanks for the help here, all, it was on the money. The car went to my in-laws' favorite shop, and they said that the water pump is definitely shot, and already leaking (which explains an inexplicable stain-free coolant leak the car has intermittently experienced since we bought it). They're replacing it for $300, which is not a great price, but it's kind of a quid-pro-quo for the free diagnostics these guys usually give our family.

After that, my only problem will be the squeaky wheels. Don't think it's the brakes, I think it's the bearings. Can I replace them myself?

--

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Damn, I wish I could do the water pump on my 94 Taurus in 20 minutes. Hell, it would take me 20 minutes just to get my tools, drain the coolant, pull the overflow and W/W fluid tank out of the way, pull off belt, alternator, heater hoses and whatever else is in the way before I could even touch a waterpump bolt. Guess that's why I'm not a mechanic. Now throw in $50 for the cheapo rebuilt waterpump (or $83 for the motorcraft pump). Maybe not such a bad deal after all.

Reply to
Jimz466

So which engine that came in a 94 Taurus is it that you can change a water pump in 20 minutes????? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I think my average is about 2 hours by the time i get all the stuff together. I don't think i would make it as a flat rather........

I wonder what the Ford dealer would charge?

As far as $300 goes, its a little high. But a running Taurus beats a dead one any day.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

This guy claiming a water pump swap in 20 minutes has OBVIOUSLY never done it.

Reply to
Scott

Well, look - Leaving aside the whole "20 minutes" BS, I just don't have the resources or space to work on this. A little bodywork (replacing damaged hood, header panel, fender), I can do and have done, when I had covered parking to keep the car as I worked on it. Replacing wiper motor. Changing out things that are simple to reach; spark plugs, radiator, etc (not in this car, but in my old '86 Mitsubishi Galant). But I *need* to get this job done by a pro.

This particular mechanic has historically been expensive, but there are political (family) reasons for using them. And in fairness, they always do a good job. I could go to any of half a dozen mechanics within 10 minutes' walk from where I work, but I neither know nor trust any one of them. And I don't have anyone at work to ask for a recommendation, because they all get their cars fixed at shops local to them (which are all damn inconvenient to me). I'd rather pay $300 for a job I can trust than $200 for a job where God knows what might happen. Last time I took her car to a place picked at random, they managed to destroy the wiper motor and dent the rear fender. So, round where I work, I wouldn't trust them to do anything more complicated than stick an Ecuadorian flag decal on the hood.

So, the wife needs her car, so I just have to find the money, you know?