The '95, 1.9L Tracer I mentioned

With only 88 hp, I wanted to see how fast it would go. (Like who doesn't do this?) About 3:00 am. Early summer in New England. No wind to speak of. Long empty stretch of freeway with a _very slight_ downward pitch. Was impressed with the relatively short time it took to hit 80 mph. Was _very_ surprised that it actually reached

  1. Road now dead level. Very gradual left-hand curve (but still almost straight). Stayed on the gas to see where it would max out.

SCARED THE HELL OUT OF MYSELF when, at 93 mph (speedo reading), the front end (or whole car?) LIFTED OFF THE GROUND, and I had NO STEERING AT ALL!!! Happened so fast that I only had time to get off the gas. "Drifted" (or was airborne?) for less than a second =96 but went from the center lane to the right-hand shoulder before front wheels "touched down" again. Coulda been toast. Regained my steering just in time to avoid becoming part of the guard rail.

Ford had to know this after testing the prototype. They replaced the "exploding gas tank" Pinto with a design (at least on the '95's) that's even potentially _more_ dangerous. But I have never been able to find any bulletins or warnings or cautions from them about "Do not exceed 90 mph in the '95 Tracer/Escort".

This kind of thing ever happen to anyone else? In any kind of car? And what did you do about the pants you had on at the time?

Jeff Gagnon, Test Pilot Tracer Escort Air Force (ret.)

Reply to
jeffry gagnon

Actually, what is amazing is that someone would admit to this sort of idiocy in public.... First, the car is built to be driven in a manner that is both within the laws of the land and demonstrates mature and responsible thinking. A car is a lot like a gun.... if you use it correctly it's going to be OK... but the minute you take your brain out of gear - anything can happen.

You took your brain out of gear and when you discovered that this wasn't a real bright thing to do, you try to transfer your idiocy on to the manufacturer of the vehicle...

Your folks must be proud....

With only 88 hp, I wanted to see how fast it would go. (Like who doesn't do this?) About 3:00 am. Early summer in New England. No wind to speak of. Long empty stretch of freeway with a _very slight_ downward pitch. Was impressed with the relatively short time it took to hit 80 mph. Was _very_ surprised that it actually reached

  1. Road now dead level. Very gradual left-hand curve (but still almost straight). Stayed on the gas to see where it would max out.

SCARED THE HELL OUT OF MYSELF when, at 93 mph (speedo reading), the front end (or whole car?) LIFTED OFF THE GROUND, and I had NO STEERING AT ALL!!! Happened so fast that I only had time to get off the gas. "Drifted" (or was airborne?) for less than a second - but went from the center lane to the right-hand shoulder before front wheels "touched down" again. Coulda been toast. Regained my steering just in time to avoid becoming part of the guard rail.

Ford had to know this after testing the prototype. They replaced the "exploding gas tank" Pinto with a design (at least on the '95's) that's even potentially _more_ dangerous. But I have never been able to find any bulletins or warnings or cautions from them about "Do not exceed 90 mph in the '95 Tracer/Escort".

This kind of thing ever happen to anyone else? In any kind of car? And what did you do about the pants you had on at the time?

Jeff Gagnon, Test Pilot Tracer Escort Air Force (ret.)

Reply to
Jim Warman

With only 88 hp, I wanted to see how fast it would go. (Like who doesn't do this?) About 3:00 am. Early summer in New England. No wind to speak of. Long empty stretch of freeway with a _very slight_ downward pitch. Was impressed with the relatively short time it took to hit 80 mph. Was _very_ surprised that it actually reached

  1. Road now dead level. Very gradual left-hand curve (but still almost straight). Stayed on the gas to see where it would max out.

BS, I am waving the orange BS flag on this one.

The downforce on the windshield alone at 90 mph is like a entry way door at a 45 degree angle being pushed through the air at 90 mph.

No friggin way any wheels on the car are going to leave the ground.

Reply to
Scott

My thoughts exactly. Only by hitting a real good "yump" would he get it off the ground. My nephew drove his escort wagon at upwards of 130 kph quite regularly and it handled like it was on rails (untill he fell asleep one night and put it into a hydro pole about 10 feet up after leaving the road and going through the ditch.

Reply to
clare