Tire Size Advice For A 1972 Gran Torino

Hello. I am at the point where I am going to order a set of wheels and tires for my 1972 Gran Torino. 25 years after high school and my first car which was a 72 Gran Torino I am restoring one to be like my first one all those years ago. For wheels I am going with 15x8 Cragar S/S's on all four corners. But. Tires size. I am thinking of 235/60/15 on the front and 255/60/15 or 275/60/15 on the rear. Should I run 15x7's in the front instead of the 15x8's? Would the 235/60 front and the 255/60 rear be a good combination or should I go with the 275 on the rear. I just worry the 275 will be to tall. I know there are some of you out there with early 70's Ford midsizes that have been thru this. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks

Reply to
greg

Spike

Most people are upgrading to 16s or larger. I remember a 72 with 15 x

8s all around and it looked very classy.

The profile on the 275s will look way too tall nowadays. I would either go 245/60s on 7s in the front and 255s on 8s in the rear or 8 all around with 245s.

The Cragars S/Ss used to have 4.25 backspacing, I'm not sure if they still do.

Reply to
mdindestin

Play around with this:

The operating envelope for the Gran Torino is too high for anything other than a track, and it is not really a drag racing car without drastically overspending.

I had 2 '73 (Gran)Torinos with P235/70R-15s at all 4 corners on 15 x 8 AR type slotted aluminums, that seemed to work well for all-around great handling(ADDCO sway bars & gas shocks added, too).

The original size for yours is F78-14, or approximately P205/75R-14 or P215/70R-14.

Rob

greg wrote:

Reply to
trainfan1