u too can measure leakdown in volts

That's for sure. One of the other problems is proper training. I can not remember a training class that taught the use of voltage drops. Use the term voltage drop to most and you get the deer in the headlamp look.

Reply to
pick one

Basic electrical... Specialty 32 with Ford, IIRC. 90% of the class has trouble with the idea of 12 volts across and open switch and ~ 0 with the switch closed. After working for indys for many, many years, my current employer enticed me to come to work for him. Got my Senior in less than 2 years and I was amazed to find that better than half our basic electrical class were repeat performers... one poor soul was on his 6th try.

Our instructors here are some pretty good guys but some of their students only want paper and any raises the paper may bring.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The amazing thing is it's not a complex concept, yet it's the fastest and most reliable method for finding electrical problems. I take a lot of digs about my

20 foot (-) test lead. We have the same issue with people understanding the relationship of flow vs. pressure in hydraulic systems.
Reply to
pick one

Everyone in the shop is constantly borrowing my "brick"... a scrap of construction 2X4 with a 2 post terminal strip and about 30 feet of paired wire... one red, one black, at the other end, two clips that fit on the battery terminals... colour coding is about as high tech as it gets (but I guess I could paint it, add some warning decals and a handle....). No more searching for a good ground or a convenient source of power.....

Total cost using overpriced Radio Shack goodies.... under $10 CA..... Since electrical/electronic diag time is all MT, I haven't gained a thing (other than more time for good retail FR work) but my retail customers don't pay for me to fart around looking for a good ground.

I wish I could claim the patent rights on this..... I read it somewhere a long time ago and did the old forehead flatten (with the required "DOH!!") since the idea was way to simple to think of....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
relic896

start hooking up wires i will just make one connection

one at a time

lmfao I call bulcrap on this one lmfao U GO GIRL

lmfao hey thats not a scope lmfao i wouldmonitor fuel trim myuself

llmfao u go girl what shortcommings would that be ?

hurc ast

Reply to
relic896

The list is long and very obvious to anyone who has read at least one of your posts. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks, good to know. I think I'll wait a while until they shake the bugs out.

Also good to know that there might be a VCM to laptop version. I'd prefer the laptop display over the pocket PC.

Yeah, that PACE has got to be about 15 years old...

Very true. I've personally pushed about 5 of those things into land fills, and another 6 or so given away to whoever would haul 'em off.

Digital sampling has come a long way since the Interrogator and MEA. I know what you mean about the Snappy timing light, that's why I bought mine from Ferret.

Understood.

SLTs... heh-heh... someone has to foot the bill, and it ain't gonna be anyone at Ford Motor Company.

Truely a piece of crap equal to the Vegas back in the 70s.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On my Fluke pressure transducer, I believe it's around 300 milli-volts in ten seconds But it's kind of pointless to scrutinize fuel pressure leak-down when the symptoms don't warrant it, don't you think?. Hell, you might as well check and see if the tail lights are the problem for all the good it's gonna do you.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Because it's not "high tech."

(where did I hear that last?) 8-)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That's the way it seems to always be. I got the idea of making a 20 foot test lead by attending an electronics seminar a few years back. It was always a pain to check the voltage drop of a ground in the back of a vehicle to the battery. A lot of times it's not that you don't think of it, you do, but you question if it is a good idea or not. One of my most borrowed "tools" is a led light I made for checking hall effect switches, the other is a box of switches and a power supply for checking trailer lights.

Reply to
pick one

wow your smart i bet you can tell me how a PLC works to rite lmfao U GO GIRL

hurc ast

Reply to
relic896

Bozo makes a post but forgets to push any keys.

What's your next trick?

WOW us, really WOW us.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You asked, I answered. Got a problem with that shit for brains? Try not to get your nose too out of joint when you're proven wrong.

So what. It's a correct answer and it proves you wrong (again).

Good for you. Doesn't change a thing.

Which is why I listed it as "optional" birdbrain.

Fuel trim can be skewed if there is a misfire, and if the engine is over fueling, there is a good chance that it is misfiring. IOWs, you really don't know as much about how an oxygen sensor works as you think you do. Hint, there are SAE papers on the subject, read them before you shoot your mouth off about fuel trims.

The ones that you continually demonstrate.

For instance, how you just responded to the name "Bozo" like a good little trained ape.

Reply to
aarcuda69062