97 Escort-can't put key in driver lock, stuck, now driver door won't close

I just tried using my car today after a week but my key would not even enter the lock. I live in upstate NY so the weather's been in the 20s and teens the past week and i just assumed that somehow water got into the lock and froze. I got in from the passenger side, and opened the driver door.

Even though the door opened (with difficulty), the lock did not pop up. When I tried closing the driver door, it would not shut. I have manual locks. Any idea what the problem is and how i can fix it on the cheap. I'm unemployed right now so I can't afford to spend too much money fixing this.

Reply to
Geeta

My 90 acts up in this manner sometimes, that is, the driver's door won't shut. Check the latching mechanism on the door, it is supposed to latch itself onto the post when you shut the door. It might be in need of some lubrication. You can get some penetrating oil and spray it on for starters and then try some white lithium grease spray to keep it from happening. Reapply once or twice a year.

That's what I do anyway because that's what I have lying around. You'll probably get ten more posts in this ng about the pros and cons of each different type of lubrication product and the application thereof. Just use what you got on the latch. That can of three-in-one oil that's been lying around since 1972 should work as well.

Reply to
sleepdog

i dont know if your problem is with the key hole or not but i usually get some wd 40 with the red straw and push in the key hole and spray some in there.

Loose as a goose then

Reply to
Mercury

"Geeta" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Best thing I have found for stuck door locks is Silicone spray. Spray silicone into locks using small tube supplied with spray, and repeat several times. I have freed up several door locks this way. It can be purchased at most auto stores, Wal-Mart, and many other places.

Reply to
tango