Used Stop Leak for Head Gasket

Hello,

I have a problem. I have a 96 for Windstar head gasket problem. Someone told me to use a stop leak product to seal it up. I used a product from prestone. It looked like liquid oatmeal. The problem I have now is over heating. I think it is plugged up somehow. I also have no heat anymore.

What has happened and will a coolant flush solve this problem?

Thanks

steve

Reply to
sclothier

Sounds like you have a clog from not using some honey with the oatmeal. A flush can't hurt anything and the stop leak can't help anything. You'll be getting a head gasket or an engine soon.

Reply to
Al Bundy

A cooling system flush might solve your plugged up heater core, but you will still need a head gasket. Regardless of what the lable says, stop leak products cannot seal a head gasket.

Reply to
Ted

The 96 Windstar 3.8L engine had head gasket problems. Use of a stop leak whatever is not only a futile waste of time and money on these, it can result in extra expense to clean the radiator and replace the heater core because the stop leak plugs the small passages in modern heat exchangers. The radiator may be salvageable but, if the heater core is plugged, it is much less likely to be salvageable with a flush. If you allow the engine to continue to run, coolant will eventually get into the crankcase causing crank bearing failure if it has not already started the process. BTW, overheating is a classic symptom of head gasket failure on these.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

There is ONE product that can seal a headgasket - but don't count on EVER taking the engine apart and repairing it right later. Iron_Tite Boiler Seal. I've had it seal cracked blocks and blown head gaskets on cars and equipment that wasn't worth spending more than $20.00 Cdn on. You pays your money and takes your chances. If it works, it just cost you $17.95 plus tax. If it doesn't, the engine is scrap.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

are you ever an IDIOT lmfao i see head gaskets , timing cover, rad and htr core

FOCTARD

h u r c

Reply to
simpson4532

This is very helpful for the OP in what way? What advice are you offering?

Reply to
I. Care

Yes, exactly- most stop leak products are a last resort, useful in an emergency situation

Reply to
Ted

The stop-leak cube has solved MANY tiny leaks in heater cores and rads

- for many, many years. Most of the good stuff is made by Dow.

No good for big leaks - or really weak cores.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I've used Bar's stop leak lots of time. Mostly for tiny leaks, and I don't use the whole bottle. Last time I used 1/5 a bottle of bars to stop a tiny heater core leak. That doesn't hurt anything.

The oatmeal stuff is crap.

Reply to
scott21230

Excuse me but I'm new to this forum and have already been a victim of the "biting wit" of snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. At least I now know I wasn't his only victim. Why hasn't someone (moderator, host, whatever) taken action against this yutz? He sure doesn't make me want to come back to this forum for help.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

This is a public unmoderated group. There are lot's here that would agree with you though.

Reply to
I. Care

If you put the stop leak in the overflow tank it probably formed a big plug and didn't get into the engine much, if any. Meanwhile your engine is still loosing coolant and not able to draw any out of the plugged tank. Not that I, uh (cough) um ever did that myself...but if you did you'll need to pull the overflow tank out and clean it out. Easy to do, just a few screws and a clamp to get it loose. If you still want to use the stop leak you need to put it right in the radiator. I have done that and sometimes it works, but it probably won't seal a head gasket. Then again, maybe it will help for a while.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Duller

i cant believe tards like you are so STUPID h u r c

Reply to
simpson4532