Head gasket leak repaired 8 month ago. Still high (25ppm) HC in th cooloing system?

Hi, everyone

Pre-purchase check of the 99 Legacy showed high (20-25ppm) of hydro-carbons in the cooling system. The mechanic advised it is a beginning of head gasket leak; but the owner has a paperwork of the replacement from Feb last year from dealership. He took it back to the dealership and they claim not to detect any leak. Mechanic says it is possible that high ppms are still from the old leak. My questions:

1) Is it plausible that this is the case? 2) Any way to "clean" cooling system?

The car looks good otherwise but the gasket issue stops me from getting it.

Thanks!!

Reply to
berkeleyman

First of all, you could flush the cooling system, put a new coolant, and check hte hydro-carbons again. If you will have it - it's internal leak.

Second, you can use "Head gasket repair" system. In some cases it works great. It will not hurt your engine - if it has a leak, anyhow you have to repair it. So, why not to take a chance to try to do it "inexpensive way" first.

I had an internal leak in my '97 Outback, and it was completely cured by the "Head gasket repair" liquid. The process takes over 24 hours, but I got another 25k after "repair" without any problem.

Good luck.

Reply to
CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com