Vacuum Hoses and Rodents

Does any one know of a material that I can cover a rubber vacuum hose with or a metal braided hose similar in size to a vacuum hose that can replace the stock hose? A coworker's daughter and husband are experiencing a rodent problem eating the vacuum hose on 2003 Ford Escape and the spouse's rebadged 2002 Nissan.

It all started on the wife's Escape when the check engine light came on and she took it to the dealer. The dealer said a rodent had chewed though it. They doubted the claim and the dealer replaced it. One week later the check engine light came on again and she returned the car to the dealer. The dealer reported that the one week old vacuum hose had been chewed through again by a rodent. With disbelief she reported to the dealer that her husband had the same year vehicle, the Nissan, and nothing was wrong with that. When she got home she and her husband opened the hood on the Nissan and to their surprise the vacuum hose was chewed through and the check engine light never came on.

Any suggestions on hose covers, stainless steel braided vacuum hose lines or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jim D.

I don't think you can rodent proof your car. Your best bet is to poison them, or isn't that an option for some reason? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Fix the hose with regular materials and work on ridding the rodents. They will chew up the wires also (been there). Time for a pet cat. John

Reply to
jriegle

There are probably higher grade vacume hoses that are reinforced with some sort of metal around them. Or you could put something on the hose that the rodents don't like... like some smell that they stay away from.....and coat the hose in it.

Another idea that just came to me.... go to salvage yards, junk yards, and collect a bunch of old vacume hoses.....and pile them up on your drive way so that the rodend go for that easy access pile instead of the ones on your vehicle.

Reply to
Robotnik

The rodents in question are squirrels. From what they told me they have put one vehicle in the garage. I am not sure if it is a two car or one car garage. It sounds like options to get rid of the squirrels are almost overwhelming. I live in the same area and can attest to that. Luckily they have never attacked my cars only my house. I know many that have used have-a-heart traps and transported them to other areas only to find five more ready to take its place. I tell my kids they are yard rats, they just laugh, so do the squirrels.

Reply to
Jim D.

The advice to get a pet cat is a great idea. But till you get one and the cat starts doing his job, you might want to try several things.

  1. Coat the hoses with something like wheel bearing grease mixed with Ben Gay (I never tried this, but I really think it will keep the rodents away). Cayenne pepper powder & grease is another thought.
  2. Go to a well stocked hardware store, or electrical supply and buy some "greenfield". It's a spiral wound felxible steel electrical "pipe". It looks exactly like the old BX cable. Run your hoses thru that.
  3. If you are concerned about appearance, the "Performance" auto centers do sell some steel braid covered hoses, but prepare to pay BIG bucks. Maybe JC Whitney has something like this too.
  4. Replace all but the very ends of the hoses with steel or copper tubing.
  5. MOVE and sell your home to one of the politicians currently in the Whitehouse. They have lots of weapons of mass destruction to use to fight the rodents.
Reply to
Me

Or call Dale Gribble.

Reply to
Robotnik

Since the squirrels ate the weather-stripping from around the moonroof of my

2-month old Escape, I found that a pellet rifle works very well in keeping the population down. Once or twice a week, I'll go out back and pop one. After the first couple of weeks, squirrels are fairly scarce in my yard- they tend to stay at my neighbors'. I think they're cute, I love their antics, and all that, but. . . when you start screwing with my property, ya gotta go! Tom F.
Reply to
Tom F.