Can vacuum hoses be too small?

Hi, I have an 89 Ford Aerostar, and recently I replaced all my vacuum hoses. The auto parts store didn't have the exact same size as my old hoses, but the kid working there told me I could use smaller hoses. I said fine and bought the six feet I needed.

Later on, I read in my Haynes manual that vacuum hoses are color coded and have different heat and collapse tolerances, so you should get the exact same kind.

How important is this? Is this a case of the Haynes manual being a Charlie-boy again, or should I redo my vacuum hoses?

The van runs, but since I changed the vacuum hoses in the first place trying to get rid of a vexing intermittent problem, I'd like to completely rule them out as being potentially problematic.

Thanks!

Reply to
googlegroups

Mike Walsh

Thanks for the info! I'll change 'em again in a year or so, I guess. I'm going to change the one that goes to the heater/AC fan now though because ever since I changed it, the van makes a bumping sound near the fan when I turn on the AC. Didn't do that before! What do you think this is? Is it the vent door opening too quickly?

Reply to
googlegroups

Reply to
Mike Walsh