Valve Lash Adjusters on 1997 4.6 L 2v Ford

Ok I posted awhile back about this engine having a miss.Found out it was a broken valve spring.Replaced the valve spring put the adjuster back in place installed the cam follower and had no compression.Took the cam follower off and got a reading of 150.It looks like the valve lash adjuster is keeping the valve open.Any ideas on how these things adjust?Everywhere I look it says they are hydraulic and self adjust.

Reply to
bob_in_stpete

Hydraulic Valve Tappets:

CAUTION: If any part of the valve tappet assembly needs replacing, replace the entire valve tappet. Internal tolerances for the valve tappets are very critical. Mixing components from different valve tappets may upset these tolerances, resulting in improper valve tappet operation and possible engine damage.

Keep valve tappets in proper sequence so that they can be installed in their original position. Inspect and test each valve tappet separately to avoid a mixup. If a valve tappet is worn, replace all valve tappets and rocker arms.

Cleaning

Thoroughly clean all the parts in clean solvent and wipe them with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Inspection

Inspect the parts and discard the entire valve tappet if any part shows pitting, scoring or excessive wear. Replace the entire valve tappet if the plunger is not free in the body. The plunger should drop to the bottom of the body by its own weight when assembled dry.

Assemble the valve tappet and check for freeness of operation by pressing down on the plunger. The valve tappets can also be checked with a hydraulic tester to test the leakdown rate. Follow the instructions of the test unit manufacturer or the procedure under Camshaft Lobe Lift, Hydraulic Valve Tappet and Leakdown Testing.

Valve, Ball Tip--Tappet Wear

The valve tappet tip is ball-shaped with an oil hole in the top. Light radial scuffing is acceptable. Replace if medium-to-heavy scuffing, pitting, galling or metal transfer is found. Also check parent rocker arm in ball socket area for similar conditions.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

If the adjuster is not collapsing properly after a couple of minutes after installation, it will probably nee to be replaced. They have a leakdown rate designed into them. If they do not collapse, they are eith gummed or stuck extended. which doesn't terribly surprise me after the follower has become dislodged. They usually go right back in without a problem. This may be a result of the broken valve spring allowing it to overextend at higher RPM. Your best bet is to simply replace the faulty one.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I am replacing the adjuster today.Thanks for the info.

Reply to
bob_in_stpete

Update on 4.6L Ford.Car is back together and running like new.Thanks to those with the great advice.you guys saved me a hell of a lot of money.

Reply to
bob_in_stpete