1997 Chev Suburban 1500 2WD - Wheel Bearings

I am planning to change out the front wheel bearings tomorrow. If I grab the top and bottom of the tire I can rock the wheel on the spindle. I am not sure if I will need to replace the bearings or if I can just repack and tighten them. If I do need to replace them how do I get the bearing races out of the hubs - can these be removed just by tapping them out and tapping the new races back in? What size is the nut tthat I need to remove to take the hub off?

Thanks for any help received! Doug

Reply to
Droopy

Robert Ball

Robert,

Thanks for your help. What did you mean by "Don't forget to leave room for the race to fall out if it needs to come out" Will the outer bearing not lift out with the hub after the cotter pin / hub nut is removed? The outer bearing race I am assuming will remain in the hub and I will have to use the brass drift technique that you mentioned to remove both the outer bearing race and indeed the innner bearing race. I assume that I can remove the innner bearing from the hub after I have popped the rear grease seal.

Thanks again, Doug

Reply to
Droopy

For between 25 and 50 dollars you can purchase a bearing and race installer kit. makes installing races a snap. If there is an AutoZone around you can leave a deposit and borrow the tool.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
Robert Ball

Thanks All,

Wheel Bearings done - they were fine - I just repacked and reassenled them. I did discover the source of my front end problem though - the upper ball joint rubber boot was torn and the joint has lots of free play. Thats for tomorrow though - perhaps?

Reply to
Droopy