Wheel Bearings

Will the newer roller bearing style wheel bearings work on an early (oval window) front end?? I have 3 ovals and one of them had roller bearings in the front, the other 2 had the correct ball bearing style. I'm wondering if it's a later drum? or if you can retro fit the newer roller bearings in an oval window drum? I haven't had a chance to mic them out to see if the dimensions are all the same.

Thanks for any info Jim snipped-for-privacy@zarwerks.com

Reply to
Jim Bremer

Jim, Many of the reputable vintage parts houses have roler bearing replacements that are made to fit properly. Jim Schield

Reply to
JSchield

Just did this very thing over the summer... New front and rear drums, plus replaced all seals plus fronts got inner and outer roller bearings to replace the original ball bearings. All items from C.I.P.

Reply to
Red Bug

I believe that the late roller bearings are sized the same as the early ball bearings, so that they are an appropriate retrofit. If you did this, I would suggest that you replace both bearings in the wheel. It should not be necessary to replace both wheels, but I would not leave a wheel with the types mixed.

-

Jim Adney

Hi! Do you have Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) 1968 and later? I got this from Speedy Jim's web site:

All side loads are taken by the ball bearing (and the circlip!). The 2 bearings are clamped together by the nut, drum and the 3 spacers. The roller bearing is there to carry most of the radial load. The inner and outer spacers double as the sealing surfaces for the grease seals. The inner spacer may be hard to spot; it often looks like part of the stub axle flange.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe