Why are new Crown Vics hard to find at dealers?

I'm in the market for a new car, and the Crown Vic looks nice. I've checked every dealer in the state and every adjoining state and nobody has any on the lot.

What gives?

Reply to
Someone

Ford's website allows you to build a car to your liking and search dealers near you to find one similar to your build sheet. I'd try that.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Look at a Mercury Grand Marquis GS. It is the best value on the market today. Big car safety and comfort, 25 MPG V8, state of the art technology, lots of standard luxury stuff, all for around 20K or less, brand new.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford sells all they can build. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I did that and there was nothing in stock as I described. In fact, the dealers had no Crown Victorias in stock regardless of equipment anywhere in the state or any of the adjoining states.

Reply to
Someone

I'll check it out. I think 20K is a tad bit optimistic, though. Maybe $25K is more reasonable, and it's still well within my price range. I'd still prefer a Crown Vic!

Reply to
Someone

If you can bring yourself to overlook the slightly different grill and headlamp styling, you may safely call the GM a CV (and vice versa).

Reply to
Happy Traveler

get a grand marquis, and put a crown vic grill and tail panel on it. no one but you will know the difference.

Reply to
Tom

FWIW I just bought an 06 GM GS Convenience with leather, power pedals, traction control, CD player, etc for 17k out the door....not bad for a car that listed at 27k. They really are trying to get rid of them here.....not enough grandpas in the market I guess...haha

Reply to
Barney Gumble

"Year End Clearance" keeps getting earlier and earlier, I guess. In my opinion, the CV/GM is one of the best kept secrets of the automobile business. As Mike listed below, they are a great value and they last forever, too!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

You do not need to run all over the place looking for a particular vehicle. Go to a Ford dealership and ask to speak to the Sales Manager. He can actually 'go to every dealership' in several states, via his online locater system, and find the vehicle you want, (if it is a buildable model,) and get it for you, simple

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are referring to MSRP, I'm referring to the actual current sale prices of 2006 models on the east cost. The CV and the GM are the same vehicle. The GM is more upscale than the top of the line CV but sells for less.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My one grandson, who is 40 and has four children, bought a fully loaded GM GS for 18K. He traded in a Focus and he tells me the GM fuel mileage is averaging only 5 MPG less the Focus.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

There are zillions of former police cars, running as Taxies in NYC, with well of 500K on the clock. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

actually mike, 99 % of the taxi fleet in nyc were bought new as taxi's from a company called F.A.P.S. in newark n.j.

Reply to
Tom

Crown Vics are usually fleet orders for police cars and taxis. Civilian Crown Vics are pretty rare but there is a twin in the state car of Florida-the Mercury Grand Marquis.

Reply to
Dave

Well, gee, the difference in the EPA milage estimates is 7 mpg. What do you expect?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Obviously medallion taxis companies do buy new vehicles, as well, but we sold thousands of used police cars to companies in NYC, over the years. Look at the VINs for the P71 code

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually that is not true, while the Interceptor is the darling of police departments, more CVs have been sold to private buyers than as police cars and taxies. Look at the VINs, there are a lot more P73s and P74s running around than P71s and P72s

Mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

We did not expect you to realize the average person in a NG, would expect to see a bigger difference in fuel economy than 5 MPG between a 15K car with a small 4cy with a manual tranny, than a larger 18K car with a large V8, for one. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter