Wierd F150 problem

I had an 86 F-150 that wouldn't run and sold it as is, a guy came over to buy it and tried to see if he could get it running to drive it home. We started messing with it, cranking it over, wouldn't fire at all, and then we took the plug off one of the injectors (302 engine) in order to put the test light on it, and then when we cranked it it would start right up. Then we could plug the injector back in and it would run perfect. But every time we'd shut it off, it wouldn't start again until we'd unplug that injector; and then we could plug it in while it was running and it'd run fine. We did this numerous times. Even if that injector was bad, it would be a bizarre coincidence that we happened to choose that particular one to put the test light on. Plus, why would it refuse to start, or even fire, until we'd unplug that one--and then it would start and run normal (with a steady miss of course) until we plug that ingector and then it'd run perfect? Doesn't matter to me now, the guy bought it, but I (we) thought it was strange.

Reply to
James Goforth
86 was "bank fired" rather than SEFI....here is where a LOT of assumption comes in to play... especially since this same scene wasn't tried with the injector on a different cylinder. I imagine a number of contributing factors including corroded connections and possibly a shorted injector coil... no way of telling without testing but I can assure you that auto repair is NOT as simple as most people think.

This could open the door for many other subjects, points of view, experiences ad infinitum but I wont go there. Sounds like you got rid of a truck that runs for the price of a truck that don't...

Knowledge is our friend.... this ain't rocket science but it does take a logical approach to diagnosis.... electrical problems are much easier to diagnose than we allow ourselves to believe......

Reply to
Jim Warman

LMFAO cant follow a flow chart jimmy lmfao

35 bucks/ an hour at the lake lmfao thats like 10 bucks in calgary

h u r c a s t

Reply to
6whiteboomer77