Will Duct tape hold? - Broken motor mount

I just found out my motor mounts are broke on my Ford F150 pickup. I had a friend gun the engine and the whole thing jumped, and began to tip sideways. I am not in the mood to repair this in the cold so I hope I can wait till spring. In the meantime, I just took a whole large roll of duct tape and wrapped it around my engine and down under the frame. I have not driven it yet, but I will in a few hours when I go to work. Do you think this will hold my engine in place until the weather gets warm? (This is a 400 engine) Note. I wrapped around the engine twice. Between the carb and distributor and also in the back where it got a good grip around the block and the exhaust pipes. Then I wrapped some tape around the starter to the frame too. It seems pretty secure.

Thank You

Bob

Reply to
Roberthall

These troll questions are always food for thought even though the poster is merely playing with us and himself. In an emergency, there might be a way to wrap plumbing hanger tape around the frame and some available portion of the mount and bolt it together. I attached my front sway bar bushing using same to with a custom bracket to bridge frame rust and was surprised to see it hold for years now. When you talk emergency, there is often a way for people who practice at these situations. In the poster's case, the need is more psycholocigal and probably chronic rather than emergency.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Almost all newer vehicles have a built in safety to keep the engine in place if a mount breaks.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Nice turn around Al Bundy! I made a field fix on a motor mount with a piece of chain and padlock once when the lower retaining nut fell off. Maybe this would help hold the OPs dunce cap on.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

AND.. If his foil hat keeps falling off, then I can highly recommend flex-duct metallic tape available at Lowes. Cheaper that regular metallic tape and more flexible, but with the same adhesive properties.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Of coarse it will hold. Everyone knows duct tape will fix anything!

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

LMAO

Might as well slather a little gorilla glue on there as well. I've yet to see anything held together by it come apart.

ShoeSaleman wrote:

Reply to
Jeremiah Greer

No, no, no... Everybody knows that metallic tape will interfere with the inductive flux of the foil cap, thus reducing it's effectiveness. If this happens, the mind controlling government and their celestial cronies can make their invasion. Backyard, you need to stop posting about things you have no knowledge of. Get a clue, loser. If you would just once pick up a copy of the Enquirer and actually read it, you wouldn't make light of such a grave conspiracy!!! Are you just here to TROLL??? We are all in danger. You are just such a ......damn, I can't remember any more of the common childish usenet putdowns............so there! I guess I told you. ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Jeez, it was an honest mistake. Take it easy on him. What I do is use the metallic tape in a loop to make it two-sided. This way you can put it under the foil hat thus making the tape inert, and leaving the mind control blocking properties intact. I think it works just fine. My friends tell me I'm paranoid but I don't trust them.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

What would that built in safety be?

Reply to
Fred Miller

Duct tape is not designed to be used that way, you need to use unobtianium tape. It is only sold at proffessional parts stores like Target. It is far stronger and more elastic. It as far greater ability to withstand heat so do not be afraid to wrap it around the exhaust.

Reply to
Fred Miller

Reply to
Fred Miller

I thought he was going to say, he gunned the engine and slid the roll of duct tape under the mounting clip...you know, replaced the old bushing

Reply to
Levon

is this Red GREEN? (canadian comedian .... funny show uses duct tape a lot)

Reply to
fireater

What were you thinking???? Don't you think maybe the exhaust manifolds get very hot? I think you wasted your time. Motor mounts are not that hard to replace.

Reply to
Skyhawk