Yet another problem on my 97 taurus, no headlights

Hey Guys,

Neither headlight on my 1997 ford taurus will light. all other lights work, with the exception of the headlights. Any ideas??

(I'd had previous problems with the passenger light being very dim (problem with the pigtail I believe), I'm not sure if this would be related.

Reply to
Me

The bulbs are burned out?

-

Girls dig guys who drive black cars.

Reply to
Black Cars

LOL..... Maybe the switch is bad too?

Reply to
me

Reply to
Scott M

It's probably the connector switch. Another possibility is the ground pin may have contacts with the circuit board melting together. You might want to take your '97 Taurus to a dealer or a shop and have them do a reality check. Ask them to peform an oasis test, check the connectors, wiring diagram, headlight switch, multi-function switch, fuse and especially the circuit board. You may have a bad ground. (See my post at Dash Light Problem, 2002 Ford Taurus SEL)

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

I found this interesting.

I replaced the connector for the passenger side headlight (Ford sure doesn't give you much wire to play with, do they?). Now the lights function, the passenger side one is fine, but the driver's side one is very dim.. Should I go ahead and change the driver's side connector as well?

Cheers Tony

Reply to
Me

By all means.

Reply to
Jinxter

Uh.... yeah.

Here's my philosophy on replacing things that come in sets: If I have to replace one bulb, I replace both. The other bulb is just as old and has been subjected to the same amount of vibration, etc, right?

Two days ago a bulb burned out on my garage door opener. I had to use a ladder to get to it, a screwdriver to remove the cover, and I had to go to the store to buy replacement bulbs anyway. That second bulb in the opener was working fine... it was just daring me to button the opener up without changing it, so it could fail next week. That was not to happen; I changed them both.

What's the old phrase? "Penny wise and pound foolish"? Your other connector is probably half melted and/or corroded nearly as badly as the one you just replaced. Get rid of it and the next time, consign yourself to doing jobs like this in pairs.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN