2000 Ford Focus won't start

Hi,

I was hoping someone here could tell me what's wrong with my 2000 Ford Focus SE. I was about to go to work this past Friday when it wouldn't start. When I turned the key, the lights in the dash would come on and there is a clicking noise. I bought a new battery, put it in and everything was fine. Until tonight when it wouldn't start again. It was doing the exact same thing as before. Lights coming on in the dash and clicking noise. Fortunately, I found someone to give me a jump start and was able to get home. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Also, the headlights, interior lights, radio and everything else works just fine.

Thanks

Reply to
Noty

If a jump start worked then your battery was dead. You stated you replaced the battery and all was fine for awhile. That means your new battery is either bad as well or it was not being charged. Sounds like the alternator is not doing its job.

With the eng> Hi,

Reply to
Miles

Yeah, sounds like a bad alternator. What was the old rule, if while the engine is running and you disconnect the + (positive) battery connector and the engine shuts off, you have a bad alternator (besides the draining of the new battery).

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

If you remove the battery while the engine is running, you're risking damage to the car's electronics. Don't do it.

Reply to
Mark Olson

"Miles" wrote

Or there is something wrong in an electrical connection. But you're right - the battery is not being charged.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Good to know, I guess that applied to cars without electronics huh? :-/

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

If the alternator is charging ok @14 volts or so - BTW, I think it is as the car runs after jumping it and if the alternator was bad, the dead battery would not run the fuel pump and ignitions system/computer long at all! A fully charged battery will be at least 12.6 volts after sitting awhile after a drive.

So a new bateery goes dead too. Check for too much parasitic drain on the battery when the engine is off and all is off, no lights on, doors closed, etc. Remove the negative batt cable and put a multimeter in series with the cable and battery post. Set it to a milliamp range. If you get much over 100 mA of current, something is wrong. Make sure any small lights are off. If they are, you need to remove a fuse one at a time for each circuit to find which circuit is taking power and go from there. The ECU will draw power, same with the alrm system or remote door thingy. But not 1/4 amp (250mA) or something. That will kill a battery overt a weekend.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

BTW:

Most auto parts stores and some service centers (Pep Boys) will test your charging voltage/amperes and battery charge cycle for free. This will tell you right away which it is.

I once put a new battery in a used car I had just bought just 'cause I didn't know the condition and history of the battery. The new battery turned out to be bad.

I put the original battery back in and never thought about it again for three years after that when it finally wouldn't hold a charge.

John

Reply to
John Doe

Not necessarily, if the starter motor (or whatever it´s called in english) is broken then a jumpstart would start the car.

Reply to
Kjell Harnesk