2003 Zetec 1.6 Cooling Fan Problem

I've got a 2003 Zetec 1.6 where the cooling fan is always on if you have the internal heating/cooler positioned to point just on the windscreen. This seems to be the opposite of a couple of other postings here where the cooling fan doesn't come on at all when idling.

The local Ford dealer says that this is a known "feature" of this model car - but still went on to swap out the PCM chip, without remedying the problem. The temperature gauge doesn't indicate the engine is in need of cooling down, the fan just switches itself on. If you position the blowers to be off the windscreen then the cooling fan clicks off.

Is this really a feature of the Focus or am I having hot air blown up my kilt?

thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Grant

The reason the cooling fan is running is cos with the interior air director knob on windscreen defrost it automatically engages the air con- which in turn requires the fan to cool the condensor.

And it is, completely normal.

Only ~2002 on cars with the orange "defrost postion" and "3" on the fan speed dials do this- previous ones you can control if you want a/c or not.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In message , Rob Grant wrote

The threads about radiator fans not coming on were about faults.

I believe that it is 'normal' and operating in the way it was designed to work.

I assume that your car has Air Conditioning (A/C).

When switch is set to the windscreen only position the A/C kicks in. "The A/C extracts humidity from the air and the windows are demisted faster." Your car will have two cooling fans - one associated with the engine temperature and the other associated with the A/C. If the A/C is automatically switched on I'm not surprised that one of the fans would switch on.

Reply to
Alan