2005 Focus - Central Locking Question

Hi,

This is my first post here, but before I did post - I did do a search of previous threads and couldn't find anything relevant.

Anyway, just got myself a 2005 Focus LX, it's a fab car - very chuffed, but I've got an odd problem.

When I unlock the car, the indicators flash, the car unlocks and all is hunky-dory. However, when I lock the car, pressing the the lock button on the remote twice to double-lock the car - but the indicators don't flash twice to say it's locked!!

Now I've since done the 'ole reprogrammed the key fob to do the single/double unlock thingy and all worked OK.

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sadlybrokeboy

Reply to
Sadlybrokeboy

Interesting. My 03 USA ZTW requires one press of the lock button to get doors locked and lights to flash. Double-lock the car?

Reply to
Okidiver

In message , Okidiver wrote

Some Focus models are fitted with double locking (dead locking?). The double lock is an additional anti theft measure that prevents the car being opened from the inside. A safety warning is included about not operating this feature with people still inside the car.

From the UK handbook, which may not apply to US models.

Pressing the button once activates the central locking.

On vehicles _NOT_ equipped with double locking, the direction indicators will flash once to confirm the system is operating. On vehicles equipped with double locking the indicators will not flash.

If, on vehicles equipped with double locking, the button is pressed twice within 3 seconds, double locking is activated. The direction indicators will flash twice to confirm the system is operating.

Does the OP get one flash when pressing once indicating that perhaps the double lock feature is not fitted?

Reply to
Alan

It's a pity the lights don't flash when unlocking, it would be better than trying to listen for the sound of the lock operating!

Reply to
o00o

Alan,

Thanks for looking :)

The manual says I have double-locking, and I've locked myself inside and when I press the lock once I can open the door, press it twice in 3 seconds and I can't! ;)

However, I don't seem to get the flashing indicator confirmation at all with either one lock or two :( But it does flash, as I've said when it does unlock - which sounds like it's either not meant to flash or that there's something wrong......not sure which...

Matt

Reply to
Sadlybrokeboy

It doesn't seem a pity to me. The flash means "secured". I wouldn't want to see this message if I accidentally pushed the wrong button on the fob and UNsecured the vehicle.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

If the flash means "secured", then why doesn't it flash when you "secure" the vehicle by just pressing the button once? Most other vehicles I've owned, flash on "secure" as well as "Unsecure"!

Reply to
o00o

It does.

Then that message doesn't actually carry much content, if it can mean that your car is either locked or unlocked. I'd rather have a message that didn't have conflicting meaning.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

I'm afraid it definitely doesn't, I have the handbook here in front of me and it states categorically that it only flashes the lights after the second press of the button within a 3 second interval! In other words, it only flashes when you put it in deadlock mode!

You seem to be having difficulties here, let me explain, to make it simple, lets say the lights flash once for secure and twice for insecure. How can you see that as a conflicting meaning?

Reply to
o00o

Blinkey,

So I'm right in thinking that is SHOULD?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Sadlybrokeboy

Or the sound of other Fords' doors unlocking...

Reply to
Okidiver

In alt.autos.ford.focus o00o :

Unsure why someone would want that feature at all?

[..]

AFAIK the behavior can be configured, with newer Focus with the key. Try groups.google.com search within this group, has been explained a few times howto do this. Doesn't work for any Focus, perhaps dependable on when/where it was built and which options it has?

From my experience you'll have a hard time finding two Fords from the same series that are exactly the same. ;-)

On the first press mine does just lock doors, on the second it does switch on alarm and (with a little delay) interior monitoring alarm sensors and flashes hazard warning lights once. If you keep the button pressed, it will close any open window and perhaps sunroof if yours is electrical. Can't tell mine is a mechanical version.

Yep, twice for unlocking would be nice. Though at least my Focus turns on driver and rear passenger interior lights if unlocking doors remote which might or not be mentionable more or less easily.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

I'm afraid you're not reading a "handbook" that applies to my 2003 US Focus. I know how my car works. One click = flash.

No, I'm not.

That's not what happens with my car.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

I didn't realise we were talking about "YOUR 2003 US FOCUS" I thought we were talking about a "2005 UK FOCUS LX" owned by Sadlybrokeboy!

Oh I'm sure you are!

I didn't realise we were talking about "YOUR 2003 US FOCUS" I thought we were talking about a "2005 UK FOCUS LX" owned by Sadlybrokeboy!

Reply to
o00o

I said *I* wouldn't like a setup that flashed the lights for either a lock or an unlock, because then I could accidentally do the wrong thing with a wrong button press and not realize it from the light signal. That would be applicable to any car -- I'd not want any car to signal me the same for both unlock and lock. That would be like a green light that could mean either GO or STOP. :)

That's what I'd dislike. As it is, this Focus is the only car I've ever had with *any* such features; I've never had anything with a remote, before. And this one flashes when I press the lock button once, and does nothing but unlock on when I press the unlock button.

No, I'm not.

AND that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about a hypothetical car (on any side of the Atlantic) that flashed lights for lock and also flashed lights for unlock. See, then an accidental press on the wrong key wouldn't be noticed.

So you also missed Okiver's reference to his '03? See, sometimes a discussion involves more than one datapoint; sometimes even statements about the general case and not the specific case.

Here's mine about the general case, again: I'd not want *any* car to give me the same signal for two conflicting conditions...like, say, Lock and Unlock. That would be like a turn signal indicator that flashed on the dashboard whether or not your turn inficator was reall on. :)

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

I'd definitely query it with the dealer, I've just checked our UK '06 Focus (Ghia) &, just like our previous '03 Focus, press 'lock' once & it locks, no flashes, press again, it double-locks and flashes twice. Unlock - single press - lights flash once & interior light comes on.

Reply to
John Tallyman

Cheers John - have got the car booked in for next week! :(

Was just asking on the net in case there was some sort of "secret" key-fob button "hack" that enabled/disabled the flashing!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sadlybrokeboy

Reply to
Sadlybrokeboy

On my wagon ('01 1.6 liter), the lights flash once when locking and twice when unlocking.. I like it..

ahmet

turkey

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

bumblebee

All here's an update for you!

My car is actually behaving correctly!

But get this, the deal-locking etc. behaves differently for different types of models - so for an LX the lights don't flash when locked, for a sport they flash once when dead-locked and with a zetec they flash twice when dead-locked.

Nothing like Consistency isn't there?

Thanks all for your help!

Matt

Reply to