Central locking on 1999 v reg ford focus

Hi, I lock my car using key, never been a problem until today. when all doors are unlocked and i try and lock it from drivers door it turns over to lock then unlocks. If i lock it from passenger door using key all doors lock. If i manually lock passenger door and then use key in driver door - rear doors and driver door locks. If i'm sitting in car and press lock button on passenger side all doors lock, if i do it on drivers side noise shows it starts to lock then opens so wont do it on drivers side unless passenger side already locked if that is locked then it will lock other 3 doors. Hope you can help Cheers D

Reply to
djhilt

I have a similar problem on my 2000 uk 2.0 ghia. if I lock the car by key or remote it immediately unlocks itself, a few weeks ago I could not lock the car at all, whilst searching for the central locking fuse it started working again but it did it again yesterday. Seems to me a may be some sort of micro switch in a door gone faulty

Reply to
j*

In alt.autos.ford.focus j* :

It is the servo motor inside the doors, replaced the rear passenger door one and a few month later the one inside the drivers door. 106,- Euro each (iirc - just the part), though some people here got it working again with some cleaning. YMMV

Replacing inside the rear doors is trivial, the front doors are a bit tricky though.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

how do i work out which is the offending door?

Reply to
j*

In alt.autos.ford.focus j* :

[ problems with central locking system ]

It was obvious to me from just watching what happened while using remote key and keeping an eye on the door panels.

You can try reseting the central locking system with the key, which might help or not for some time. In any case I needed to do it after replacing the servo motor. Use:

And check this group, it has been explained numerous times.

It boils down to:

Get in car and close all doors Turn the ignition key from fully off to fully on 4 times within 6 seconds. Stop at fully off position. The door open/lights on alarm will "bong" once. Press the open button on the fob. The alarm will sound once more. The procedure is complete.

Might not work for all Focus, my remote key-fob was made by "Siemens".

Good luck

Reply to
Michael Heiming