Flickering Lights

Hi there

I have a 2002 UK Spec Focus Zetec 1.8 and all the lights flicker when the engine is idling.

I've been back to the dealer with it who ran tests but says everything is normal (and they checked the regulator for water ingress).

So my question is, from all the people on here who have had this problem, have any of you actually had it sorted out, and if so, what did the dealer do to fix it??

They would change the alternator to see if that fixes it but apparently Ford won't pay for it unless the black test box returns a fault code for that component, and it doesn't.

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

Why is it that some many people flame Focus in here - I think its a great car.

How often do you run with the engine at min. revs ? Not that often I would think. In my focus (1.6) the engine goes as low as 700 rpm in idle - and I have no problem with flickering - maybe with everything on - but HEY - all cars are like that - maybe not big trucks like the F150 - but then again - you payed peaunuts for the Focus compared with a truck.

If you always has a lot of things turned on in your car - you can do several things

Buy a bigger batteri Buy a bigger altenator Buy a large capacitor (like the ones the nerds uses for car amplifiers) Get the idle revs a bit higher

The only thing in my view Ford should have improved is the antocorrosion protection - its not enough for wet and cold locations like where I live. I have had the car protected and that seems to work fine - the standard is just not enough even the warranty is 12 years on body.

I am already looking forward to my next trip in my great car :o)

Eivind

Reply to
Arne

Sorry first now saw you had a UK spec car - so don't read the part about the F150 ;o)

Regards

Eivind (Denmark)

Reply to
Arne

I don't think you were right in saying we flame the car because we question things...I loved my 2000 wagon and recently traded it for a 2003 ZX5 which I still love...I'm not your normal younger driver as I'm 49 and my mother in law (70 maybe) has a Focus too - on my suggestion...and that was after I bought the

2000 that had TOO many recalls to recall...and a new transmission to boot. And I still refered people to the car as I loved driving it...plus my brother bought one in 2002 in the US - though ! Linda
Reply to
HbgpodLW

Hi Linda

Maybe its a question about what people expect of a car ?

For 20 years ago - if a car could drive for 4 years without major corrosion and a engine overhaul - then it was a great car - today people will flame a car - if they need to change the frontbulb before the car is 2 years old :o) (ironic....)

Nice to see that somebody likes there Focus

Good luck with the car :o)

Eivind

Reply to
Arne

I didn't mean you flamed the car...I agree with you that a better answer is needed though - I thought it was only females that got told that ! Either "all the cars do that" or "I've never seen that before...yours is the first car..." And to be honest we do "focus" on the thing that bothers us - the flickering in this case...go back and tell them "THAT'S NOT OK with me - so what's your next answer to me !!" Linda ZX5 loves it.

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Hi folks,

I've found that the lights on my Candian ZX5 flicker once or twice after coming to a stop. That's been about it. We have ti run with lights on all the time too, so I would agree that it's the lkind of thing that requires you to force the technician to actually sit in the car and do things eith it so that they'll be there when the flickering happens.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

In case anybody's interested, I took the car back and they looked at it again (they have aknowledged from the start that the lights DO flicker - this has never been in question). I finally persuaded them to change the alternator and this seems to have made no difference what so ever!

So I guess I try a different dealer next.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington