Flickering lights

Hi all

When I am running my 1989 RR with the spots and headlight on there is a flicker on all light including the dashboard and interior lights. The flicker is most pronounced at about 1,500 to 2,000 revs. The alternator seems to be working fine in so far as it is producing lots of power and the battery is working well.

In the old days there used to be a voltage regulator in cars which prevented this sort of thing happening....is there such a thing in a 89 RR and if so where is it? If not any suggestion as to what needs to be fixed to prevent the flickering would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hugh.

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

Bit difficult to tell from your description, but it sounds as if you have a poor battery connection or earth, but it could be the voltage regulator, which is in the alternator, I think. Another possibility is a slipping belt on the alternator. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:53:22 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

every now and then my 110 decides it's not going to include the battery in the equation. it runs the electrical loads directly off the alternator. This produces funny effects, like the radio cutting out when you go from dip to main beam, for example, and a tendency to cut out if the revs drop enough to let the alternator drop offline. as soon as it cuts out, however, it almost-instantly re-makes the circuit to the battery. I guess it's a bad connection somewhere, but I've not yet traced it. All the connections seem to be tight, and there's no indication of a bad earth, such as poor starting, for example.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

On or around Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:27:04 +0100, "Hugh Hogan" enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, the voltage regulator is in the alternator on almost all modern ones, but that doesn't necessarily mean a new alternator - you can replace the regulator unit on most of 'em. Bosch ones have the regulator screwed onto the back of the alternator, and you can swap it for either a new one or one from another alternator. Lucas ones mostly have the regulator under a cover at the back, but they too can be changed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles