Focus dashboard problem UK

I recently had an accident in my 02 Focus 1.4, and had right wing, door and bumper replaced, as well as driveshaft.

On receiving the car from Ford after repairs, It managed 100 miles before my speedo started acting up, jumping around the numbers, then failing comkpletely and an engine management light coming on.

Ford said this was definitely NOT accident related and investigated, saying that the instrument cluster was faulty.

Replaced at a charge of £340.

Now, 39 miles later, my instrument cluster has failed again. No engine management light yet.

I phoned Ford who said it would have to be in for investigation again, and perhaps reprogramming?

Where do I stand in regards to refunds for work and parts that were obviously not required?

I'm not a happy bunny at the moment!

Any other advice for me, or suggestions of what to say to them before I take the car in on Wednesday morning?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Reply to
dave

This may not be much help but I understand a new law came (in the UK) in the last couple of years that If something goes wrong then the supplier has to prove they were innocent rather than the customer to prove anything. As this is a bit vague why not find out If your Car Insurance co (or household) give you half an hour free with a lawyer, or try cab or AA/RAC if a member

Reply to
Tommy

Missed the original post, but it is clear the OP has a claim against the work done in respect of the new cluster; if the supplied unit was faulty then it needs to be replaced at Fords expense, and if it was not required as the problem was elsewhere then he needs to be reimbursed.

Now the usual suspect for odometer issues of this type is the Vehicle Speed Sensor which is located adjacent to the drive shaft on the rear of the gearbox... and as the OP had the drive shaft replaced as part of the remedial work after the accident I would be highly suspicious that maybe it was damaged during that work.

Best bet is to get an independent garage to have a look at the VSS / drive shaft repair before hassling Ford about it I would think.

Reply to
Richard Parkin