Focus TDCi tyre wear

I had my 2-year-old Focus TDCi serviced today and was rather surprised to be told that both front tyres were worn down to 1.6mm on the inside. The car has done only 15,000 miles and I do not thrash it or power-slide through corners. I have now had the original Pirelli P6000s replaced with Michelins, which I understand should last rather better, though it seems that the Focus (or my model) has something of a reputation for getting through rubber.

What sort of tyre life do others see?

Reply to
Mark Scott

Do you ever get your tires balanced and rotated?

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

Continentals on the front of my 1.8 LX rarely last more than

12,000 miles. I once got through a pair in 9,000! I always have the tracking checked when the tyres are changed (though it's usually OK). I'm not in the first flush of youth(!) but I do like to exploit the excellent handling of the Focus when safe to do so.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Mark Scott writes

When I had P6000's, I would get around 20,000 miles on the fronts and I'd replace then when they were down to 2mm.

You've not had your suspension lowered?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

My last set of GoodYear NCT5's lasted about 20K, and I had them replaced before they hit 2mm, and that's with some fairly spirited driving, though not the overtly wheel spinning type, just push on driving and making the most of the engine and handling. My original Michelin Energy XV1's lasted about 15K I think. Certainly much less than the NCT5's. Make sure you get proper V speed rated tyres fitted as replacements. I had to get an almost new front NCT5 replaced due to a puncture in the sidewall, and the tyre dealer palmed me off with an H rated one hoping I wouldnt notice, which he replaced some weeks later when he managed to get the proper one. There's a noticable difference in handling.

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

Check the front alignment. The wear pattern suggests the toe or camber requires adjustment.

FRONT \ / | | REAR

Don

Reply to
Don McC

My 2001 1.8 Ghia just had its two year service @18,900. Both front P6000's were down to 2mm. The rears just over 4mm. This is par for the course on the Focus in my experience (unless you drive very slowly!). My previous Focus went through it fronts (NCT3's) in less than 12K. Replaced them with P6000's which lasted over 18K, so consistent at least.

Reply to
Bob Hill

From my experience of Michelin's you wont get more mileage from them than the P6000's, i've tried several and gone back to the P6000's which I rate as excellant.

On my 1.8 Zetec I get 25k per set, rotating them front to back after around

12000 miles. If you didnt rotate I would imagine you'd get about 15k from the front set, but I do drive the car at about 80% of its handling capability at times.

I always get a perfect wear pattern front and back, so would suggest you have your Focus checked on a decent 4 wheel laser aligner- something is not right if they are wearing on the inside edges...

What pressures are you running? For the 1.8 petrol I find that 30psi front and 28 rear is good, for the slightly heavier TDCi I might try 31 or 32psi in the front and 28 rear (no rear passengers or luggage)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

So it sounds like my experience is not wildly out of line. For info, the car is a bog-standard, unmodified-in-any-way Ghia spec TDCi, company-provided on a full service lease contract. I have not had the tyres rebalanced, rotated or anything. According to the guy who replaced the tyres, the leasing company in question will not pay for tracking or alignment checks, and can sometimes be reluctant to agree to new tyres if the mileage seems too far on the low side. So long as they cough up for replacements when the tyres reach the legal limit, I am not going to complain.

Reply to
Mark Scott