Focus keys

Hello people

I have an '03 Focus, but have only ever had one spare key for it. I really need to get another key, so thought I may as well get a remote key as I presumed that's what would have come with the car in the first place. I visited my local, not so friendly Ford dealer who basically said it was going to cost an absolute fortune - almost =A3200 for a new key and to have it programmed!! They said they weren't even sure if my car has the remote facility, but if they did a 'disgnostic test' then they could find out. Then they could produce a second key.

What I really need to know is whether, with my one key, there is any other way of going about getting another key that will disable the immobiliser? The only way I know how to program key myself is by using two other keys as it says in the manual.

Apologies for the long windedness, cheers in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Chris

Reply to
cparnellsmith

I have an '03 Focus, but have only ever had one spare key for it. I really need to get another key, so thought I may as well get a remote key as I presumed that's what would have come with the car in the first place. I visited my local, not so friendly Ford dealer who basically said it was going to cost an absolute fortune - almost £200 for a new key and to have it programmed!! They said they weren't even sure if my car has the remote facility, but if they did a 'disgnostic test' then they could find out. Then they could produce a second key.

Right, firstly shame on you for buying a car with only one key present. NEVER EVER do that!!!!!

Secondly it will cost upto £150-175 for the dealer to supply you with 1 standard key, 1 remote fob and programme them for the remote locking and the immobilizer.

Programming a 3rd/4th/5th/6th key with 2 existing ones is as the manual says.

Programming with only one present requires the car to be plugged in to diagnostic kit and the ECU reset and aligned to 2 keys. You can then programme more yourself to disable the immobilizer.

The remote locking you can programme a new fob yourself in *most cases if it has the Siemens system. You can check the label on the CDL unit behind the drivers ankle panel if you wish to determine this. If it has the Delphi system you need Mr Ford to do it via the diagnostic kit.

Unless its a CL model it will be remote capable in most cases.

A good dealer should be able to read the VIN and tell you exactly.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Top man, thanks for the advice. I don't begrudge spending the money if I know that's how much I should be paying, just seemed a lot. I know it was foolish buying it with only one key, but I got a good deal and made them factor the one key issue into it, so I'm a happy man. It's a 1.6 Zetec with the climate pack, so I'm pretty confident it will have had a remote at some point.

Thanks aga> Hello people

Reply to
cparnellsmith

Chris i have a dec 02. 1.8 td estate my local poplar ford quoted me £120 for two keys,my key is not the remote kind phone round for a better price. F

Reply to
Me

In message , Me wrote

The local Ford dealer charged me £50/60 for a three button remote key (which included cutting). I had two other keys and therefore could program it myself.

The dealer would possibly take a maximum of around 15minutes to program the key. The dealer is quoting the OP around £600 ($1000+) per hour for programming a key.

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
cparnellsmith

Chris, use Google to review earlier forum entries. I found myself in this position earlier this year and fully documented the process I used to resolve it, for much less than Dealer prices. Additionally there were many other useful contributions around the subject.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Is that one *spare* key for it, or just one key in total?

I bought a key off these lot

and can certainly recommend them. They should also be able to cut the key if you email them before ordering (presuming you know the key code.) I originally bought one off someone on eBay, however it turned out to be not as described.

If you're dealing by mail with anyone other than a reputable company, bear security in mind if you're sending them your address and keycode!

Gary.

Reply to
Gary

I work at a ford dealer and can tell you I can programme new keys in approx

5 minutes with the new IDS diagnostic equipment, maybe 10 if using WDS which is what most are still using.

I have to programme a transit key he other day and it had a 12 minute lockout before you where able to add keys to it. Even then you should still only pay 30 mins labour but trying to find a stealership that will charge you that will be the hardest thing.

I know the remote key is around £50-£60 though.

HTH

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

I SELL FORD KEYS ON EBAY I HAVE OVER 300 SOLD AND ONLY ONE RETURNED I CHARGE 27.50 INC POSTAGE AND WILL EVEN CUT YOUR KEY FOR U IF U HAVE THE TCODE + IF U DO NOT I CAN READ THE KEY FROM A SIDE ON MICRO SHOT OF THE KEY LOOK HERE

also email me on snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com i will help out also if u liv near derby i can program a new master set in for u !

Reply to
burdis

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:Yrnki.11089$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.ams:

I can vouch for this person - I bought a Ford Focus key from him on Ebay which he cut from the T code. As I already had two working keys I was able to reprogram the new key (and its included Remote control) with the instructions given in the owners handbook.

Reply to
Red Squirrel

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote in news:1163012874.273882.258960 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I had a key (non remote) cut and programmed by a local locksmith in Southampton for a cost of £50. At this point I had then a working key with remote and a working non remote key.

I then bought a remote key from Ebay (cut by the vendor to my T code) for about £25.00 I was then able to use the two existing keys to program this third key and its remote control using the instructions in the handbook.

Reply to
Red Squirrel