Ford Focus Drum Brakes -- about how many miles could I expect from them?

I just replaced my front disk pads on my Ford Focus after 49000 miles. I probably should have replaced them after 45000 miles.

Given my front pads made it to 45000 miles, does anyone have any educated guess on what my rear shoes might look like?

I want to pull off the covers and check, but I'm not 100% sure about the factory manual comment about "detach the wheel speed sensor"? Do I just remove a bolt? And then what do I do?

I'm leaning towards taking this to a brake shop for the rear shoes because I do not want to break anything.

Of course, right now I'm just wondering how much peace of mind I have in not looking at my shoes until some point in the future versus looking at them today.

Reply to
Frank

They ought to be visually looked at- if really only to check the wheel cylinders for leaks. The shoes will probably be about 1/2 worn- mine are at

55k.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Probably just like they did when the car rolled off the assembly line. These little cars with the front disk/rear drum brakes will usually run through multiple front brake replacements before they show any wear on the rear. Of course look, or have someone else look if that makes you more comfortable.

On the bright side, my '90 escort had 120,000 miles on it when I traded it. I'd had pads put on the front twice, but the rear shoes, according to the nice man who earned his living selling break jobs, still had at least 10,000 miles of wear left. This was at 115,000 miles.

Freddie

Reply to
Freddie the Crook Finder

I have replaced the front pads and the rotors three times in 85,000 km and the rear shoes are still perfect, I would estimate they should last well over 10,000 km. if you chose to look at the shoes the drum cam be removed by removing the hub nut with a 30mm socket, re tighten to 180 ft lbs (check the manual) this nut should be replaced after it has been removed four times.

Reply to
Tom Kirkpatrick

Frank:

The brakes shoes for the Focus are of a "thick-thin" design, with the trailing shoe being the thin one. I replaced my shoes at about 55,000 miles because the thin shoe lining had cracked. I have read that this is a common problem.

The speed sensor is connected by an electrical cable that you disconnect by simply unplugging it. You will see the connector high in the wheelwell where the wire exits.

Reply to
Gary Compton